Baldet Elan

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 am

Does anyone have any information or pictures of the Baldet Elan?

Andre Baldet ran Moto Baldet in Northampton in the early '60s. He raced Lotus Cortinas. Ken Myers was his shop foreman. They modified two or three Elan Coupes with apparently fine interiors and fitted chromed wheels.

All I can find on searching the interweb (as Clarkson calls it) is someone in North Yorkshire wanting to know the whereabouts of a silver coloured Baldet Elan, JBC 633D, which they had owned in 1971. This car no longer appears to be registered by DVLA.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:08 pm

elanfan1
Second Gear

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:37 am Post subject: Help Finding S3 FHC - JBC 633D

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13623

looks like Elanfan has already been looking, the post went nowhere 2 years ago but maybe someone has found it in the interim time frame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anybody help trace (or a pointer in the right direction) the following:

Lotus Elan S3 FHC pre airflow JBC 633D believed to have been silver in colour back then. It was sold around 20 years ago in the Middlesborough (UK) area. The car is not current on the DVLA enquiry site and so is likely to be languishing someone's garage dreaming of a restoration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve 02920 628881 or pm me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sjw

Car details: S2 Exige
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:08 pm Post subject: Not Spotted ... Silver 1966 Elan JBC633D ... or have you ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NYLOC and Club Lotus have been approached by someone in North Yorkshire who is desperate to learn the whereabouts of a
1966 Lotus Elan S3 FHC Reg JBC633D, which he owned in 1971.
It is/was very unusual in that it was finished by a company called Moto Baldet with Silver coloured bodywork.
Have you (ever) seen it ?
There is a cash reward for information leading to its location

Cheers all
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redelan64 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 am

Hi All,

Happy New Year.

It is very possible that the car you are looking for is here in Australia.

It is owned by an Englishman and he has owned it for more than 25 years - approx. It is an interesting addition to our local list of Elans.

I have sent him the details of your thread today.

Lets hope it is the one you are looking for.

By the way it is abolutely mint.

Craig

26/3800
redelan64
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Craig

Thank you very much; it will be interesting if it's the one.

I must say that I started this thread as I was curious about what the modifications were that made the Baldet Elan different. I was not especially looking for a particular car. However, it may well be we get our answer from your man, Craig.

Thanks again

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baldet archive » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 pm

I can confirm that Moto Baldet (Andre Baldet) in Northampton produced a Lotus Elan called a Silver Streak or SS. This was sold from the Westonia Garage in Weston Favell in Northampton.

I have probably the only original copy of a sales brochure from 1967 which includes all uprated specifications, prices and two nice photographs.

The registration of the show model was AB 111 but this is not registered with the DVLA.

I am currently writing a book about Andre which I started a few years ago after meeting him at home for a photo shoot on my original Moto Baldet Special Vespa GS150 scooter called an Arc en Ciel.

If anyone is interested, I can post the Silver Streak specifications on this site. I would also be interested to see any photos of the surviving SS in Australia.

Regards

Stuart
baldet archive
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:44 am

I'm very interested, Stuart, and would love to see the brochure / photos.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:47 am

Stuart

Thank you for your insight and welcome to the forum.

We would be most interested to see the spec sheet for the 'Silver Streak' and grateful if you could post it on here. You may have to make 2 or 3 more postings before the forum allows you to post a photo, but this can be done easily, either by joining in some of the forum discussions or doing some Tests.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: grahammay2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 am

Hello

My Elan +2 reg Oct 1969 TTB 910H was sold in June 1969 by Lotus to Moto Baldet. The first registered owner is believed to
have been Everton player George Thomson who retired from football in 1968. Any further information or pointers
will be very much appreciated.
:o
Graham May
grahammay2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Well Tim, just over 2 years later and I've found out what the Silver Streak was.....but don't get too excited.

Take one S/E, paint it silver, add a hideous waistline chrome trim with matching nasty overriders and a couple of headrests.

And that's it!

Well worth the wait, eh?

Mark
Attachments
File0001a.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Well Mark, at least we ll apreciate that post to have an illustrated end.
What's the next on your list!?!
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm

...don't forget the clock!

Looks like they relocated the rear flank badges before the Italian (paint) job.

Italian hole filler...! Hopefully they didn't even attempt front overriders...!

Wonder what that all added to the Lotus list price?

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks Mark, good to know you're on top of things ...

I also found out this: Known as the Silver Streak, they had luxury fittings, chromed wheels, Italian style coachwork in high gloss metallic finish, modified carbs and four branch exhaust. 2 or 3 were made.

Greg Bray in Australia has FVV 292E - he bought his 1967 Moto Baldet S/E coup? Elan in 1974. He said it had been supplied new by Andr? Baldet, the Frenchman who ran the Moto Baldet Lotus dealership in Northampton. His upgrade included metallic dark tangerine bumpers, back panel and wheels (oh my word!), rear bumper over-riders, rear guard finishing stainless strips, French knock-on wheel nuts, (not sure what was French about them) larger chokes and jets in the carbs.

I think we need a full on colour photo of this extraordinary machine. It would rank alongside the pink Cussons soap Elans for um, style?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mazlot » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:12 am

Current livery of FVV 292E

Last edited by mazlot on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mazlot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Still has the bit of chrome strip slapped on the back wing. I wonder why anybody thought that looked good!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:19 pm

I have been advised that the former owner of JBC 933D is no longer interested in tracing the car so if it is in Oz then that is it.

Out of interest - I was further advised today that Colin Chapman used to to host his dealers every now and then and have a competition for the most improved Elan. Colin was judge and jury - the Baldet Elan apparently won this competition. No accounting for taste I suppose. Have also been told they did not have Tangerine bumpers and wheels! All this from someone who was there at the time!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: