Why restore an Elan

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Good question Gordon. Almost all S2's has the ribbed floor but there have been a couple of cirumctanses of the SE model having a flat floor. Mine is one of the last S2 SE's built. But a few people with S3 Coupes say they have a ribbed floor. There is thread on this subject here:

elan-f14/elan-floor-ribs-t15095.html

As for the scoop, I have only seen it a few S2 SE's. It was on my white S2 SE serial 5667, and I saw the mounting holes on a S2 SE that Bob Herzog restored last year. But like all things Lotus, just when you think you know something, something else pops up and you realize you don't know s.....! Stuff!

Have you ever seen this scoop before?
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi Frank

I have seen pictures of the scoop - will dig them out and if possible scan and email you.

What is your S2 number? mine at 5416 was built around April 66 I think.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 am

Gordon, that (pics) would be fantastic if you can find them.

Mine is serial number 5738. Almost at the end of the run. For a car that hasn't run since the late seventies, it's amazing how messed up and damaged this car was. Plus it had 6 or 7 paint jobs on it. Low miles but not very friendly ones!

Do you have any pics of your S2?

Famous Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

Frank

Have a look at this link for the underneath scoop. elan-racing-f12/26r-diff-cooler-t17753.html

Does your other elan (the 26R have this scoop too or the one on the side?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 am

couple of pics of mine
Attachments
002.JPG and
P4150003_3_2.jpg
interesting to see the extra width the 26R guards give it
P4150003_3_2.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: spanner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:59 pm

Attachments
Elan 1975.jpg and
spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:41 am

Jim, Wow, what a picture! Where and when was this taken? Is it yours? Is it still in this condition? And just before I got home and opened up my laptop, I had just picked up my 12 year old son from Monday night church. On the way home he was playing with the radio in my car and was listening to something he considers music done by Eminem or something like that. Some sort of rap. Then you send that magnificent link. What a glorious sound...........Thank you!!! As soon as my son is done with his homework, I will make him listen to it. Remind me when my car gets close to being finished to install a period looking radio that i can hook up my ipod and play this type of music occasionally.

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 am

Work continues in two directions. 1) I want to repair the factory diff scoop. A few different members are helping out with the proper dimensions as I want it perfect. One thing is obvious, these are not readily available. I have started to get the scoop looking close to how it left the factory but I'm not done yet. 2) The lattice work is now bonded back in on the left side. We tilited the body up on its side so the resin and fiberglass wouldn't drip off and fall inthe rocker. The right side should be done by tomorrow. It's actually starting to look like an Elan again!
Attachments
Body rear on side.jpg and
Riew view on side
Body on side top view 2.jpg and
Body on side
Lattice R side pre bonding 1.jpg and
Lattice pre bonding
Lattice L front bonded 2.jpg and
thousand times better than the 1976 repairs
Lattice L front bonded 1.jpg and
Lattice work comming together
Diff scoop repairs started.jpg and
Diff scoop repairs started
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:58 am

Just cheked my S3SE and sure enough, there's a scoop visible in front of OSR wheel under the shell.. Basically intact but obviously in a very vulnerable spot.

Sent me back to my old Sports Car World (July 1968) road test of this model, a glowing test in general, but included: "....we pulled up the car at the edge of the road to check a funny thumping noise (it was a clumsy factory-made air scoop for the differential: it had come loose)"
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:47 am

*OFFTOPIC*

Robert, you wouldn't by any chance have Dutch roots? Very close friends of us have the same name, Verhey, wich isn't really THAT common over here but certainly is a Dutch name.*

*ONTOPIC*

I have asked a friend of mine to check wether my Elan has the same funnelythingy underneath. If not, is it a wise thing to stick one on? *EDIT* this should maybe be asked in the cooling duct topic, my apologies in that case. *EDIT*
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: spanner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Frank,

Thanks, the picture was taken in upstate NY in the mid '70s during one of the many rebuilds. Currently, all the parts seem to be cooperating with one another despite 40+ years of wear and tear.

Digging out here in the North east.

Jim
Attachments
fob.jpg and
spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:36 am

Robert, Great words about the diff scoop under your car. Does that mean you didn't know you had one? And from what few I've seen, yes they are VERY Vulnerable!!! I've surprised they haven't taken off part of the floor! I'll have to see if I can find that article. Sounds like a good one.

And Jim, that pciture !!! I love the little skinny wheels from the cart supporting the rear. If they were puched forward a couple of feet, it would remind of the Altered Wheelbase Mopar Drag cars of the 60's.

So that is your car? The red (sorta) one. What does the car look like today? Any current pics other than the keys and key fob? That gives me an idea for later!
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:12 am

Update on the body halves. It's together and about to come home when it gets dry outside again. The body is ready to come home but there are so many pin holes in the body I don't want any moisture getting in anywhere. The body has been either in my dry garage or at the dry body shop for a few months now. Today we have rain, sleet, and snow. But with thousands of pin holes, I really want to keep it dry, so I may not bring it home from the body shop til next week. The last thing I want is to finally get some great paint on it and then later have micro blisters show up.

The right door fits great. The left door has gaps that are too large. Also the left door came from another car although I don't think that is the reason. I have another spare door. I'll check the fit of that once I get the body home. Just to transport it home, there are 10 of the 16 body bolts already in. They line up very well. I'm also concerned about rthe ride height but I'll have to find another 1,000 pounds to put in it before I'll know where we are at. Lots left to do but I'll get there, albeit slowly.

I've been adding a unch of pics, mostly because I like looking at threads with lots of pics. Time to make anothe list. It seems that's all I do is make lists.
Attachments
Botched Lattice repair in 76.jpg and
This is the mess it use to be.
Lattice L side bonded 2.jpg and
This looks so, so good.
ElanS2 botched repair 1024 size.jpg and
What the floor use to look like.
Elan S2 botched repair REPAIRED.jpg and
This is what the floor looks like now.
Door gap R side front.jpg and
Door gap L side front.jpg and
Body fitted R rear.jpg and
Body fitted L front.jpg and
Body fitted R front.jpg and
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 am

well done Frank - looking good.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:26 am

Many thanks Gordon. Once I cut the front end off, it was like loosing a limb, ......you have to get the prostectic on as soon as possible. It feels great!
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext