S4 Elan in 1970 Michael Crawford film -YouTube

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:52 am

The Elan has a lengthy appearance from about 4mins 30 sec into the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVe3iBeA ... re=related

The film crew must have removed the window frames or have they been cut off?

Like the bolt on wheels as well.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:23 am

:D Amazing! ...and he didn't say "ooooh, Betty..." once!

Thanks for posting the link.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:40 am

elansprint71 wrote::D Amazing! ...and he didn't say "ooooh, Betty..." once!

Thanks for posting the link.

More like 'Ooooo Baroness' :shock: Betty would not have been pleased.

There are some great classic cars at the start of the film, the film itself isn't great, but the cars...
Last edited by Mazzini on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks for posting that clip, trouble is I now want a pair of S2 doors + windows that will fit my S4 as well.
Seriously; would it work?

That Elan is a bit weird; the dash appears to be SS & the car is RHD; time for the experts to make out what the car really is.
The Elan does look cool in white!

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 am

The film was made in '69, therefore the Elan must have been almost new. I reckon it's a standard (non SE) domestic market S4. The window frames would have blocked the actors face, so the film crew just sawed them off - though I could be wrong.

Anybody got a link to 'The Executioner'? I gather there is an S4 in that as well.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:58 pm

I didn't see the Elan in any of the youtube's I looked at.

Only found a still....somewhere.

(I considered the DVD's on ebay @ ?15.75 but didn't bother. But, if it had been a Coupe! :wink: :) )

Cheers - rd
Attachments
peppard.jpg and
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:09 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:Thanks for posting that clip, trouble is I now want a pair of S2 doors + windows that will fit my S4 as well.
Seriously; would it work?

That Elan is a bit weird; the dash appears to be SS & the car is RHD; time for the experts to make out what the car really is.
The Elan does look cool in white!

John

It looks like a standard S4 without the window frames. The badges appear to be correct and the dash looks standard S4 too, not SS, which I thought had red lettering.

I remember catching the last 30 mins of this film on the tele one evening many years ago and had always wanted to revisit it, so thanks for posting the clip, Mazzini

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EMA7K » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:31 pm

The Executioner is worth watching for 2 reasons (1) Judy Geeson and (2) the white Elan S4 DHC. At one point the car gets one of it's lights shot out and its windowscreen shot as it backs out of the garage (without opening the door!). Minutes later it draws up outside Judy's house fully repaired. I would love a self healing elan,

Gareth
EMA7K
EMA7K
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Apart from the window frames being removed, the glass is missing too- it does not fully retract.

The first few Vegantune Evantes (the ones which looked exactly like Elans and led to the court case) were like this, no frames on S4 doors.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Dear Pete, John, RD, Tim and Gareth,

Thanks for your thanks! I've been a bit of a lurker on this forum over the years, but I've found your individual posts informative and entertaining, so I'm glad you enjoyed the film clip.

A young Judy Geeson - woof! You did well to notice the Elan.

Cheerio,

Louis
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:43 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Apart from the window frames being removed, the glass is missing too- it does not fully retract.

The first few Vegantune Evantes (the ones which looked exactly like Elans and led to the court case) were like this, no frames on S4 doors.

It's a low quality image, but if you look closely the door glasses are still there, proud of the chrome at the top of the door.

Didn't know that about Evantes, they must be very rare, I don't think I've ever even seen one.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 pm

:D great stuff...

one day I paint my car white - just the way it left the factory. Even the hubcaps look nice! Could be southern France that made it look so good :roll: It must be nice to live in a country where you can adjust the temperature you want to live with.
PS: S2 doors are different in shape - sharp angles at the front of door.
Maybe it even worked with the cut back window frames. If the glass is tight against the hood - like with modern roadsters. And the front of the frame must be kept of course.

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:14 am

Shame about the S2 doors Anna, maybe I'll investigate cutting off the window frames one day.
I've had another look at that clip.
What makes that car look so good is that it was probably filmed in 4:3 format but seen here in 16:9 format.
Stretching & widening the Elan makes it look so cool.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Nice to see 'Frank' get the back end out a couple of times - doesn't look to have been any stunt drivers employed and some of the in car footage seems to be real too.

Very nostalgic - love his accent too!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:37 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Nice to see 'Frank' get the back end out a couple of times - doesn't look to have been any stunt drivers employed and some of the in car footage seems to be real too.

Very nostalgic - love his accent too!

I recall that he was renowned for doing his own stunts & some went wrong on him apparently :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: