And so it begins.............

PostPost by: Jon.ford » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:32 am

billwill wrote:I suspect it is short for "Honey, do this & honey do that" i.e doing whatever SWIMBO wants him to do.
Such as redecorate the dining room or build a new house or whatever.

:D :mrgreen:

Thanks for translation of honey do this and honey do that. It looks like its an international problem with wives and cars.
I have "Come on you have been in that garage long enough"
By the way your ?lan looks great in white keep up the good work, post plenty of pictures please
Jon
You know you have a good car when your wife hates it.
Jon.ford
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:57 am

So, back at work.........I have installed the heater plenum after having it in and out several times. I ended up doing some work with a small dermal tool, making some cuts outs where hoses will be passing by. You can see one on the right side where the hose from the heater box just would not fit unless it was removed.

Below is a shot of the restored heater box prior to install. I took the box apart, blasted the sheet metal and painted. The actual heater core had a small leak, was repaired and pressure tested. Tested the motor and put it all back together. In the top photo, you can see where I cut a strip of 1/4 inch high density foam and riveted it to the bodywork. This is where the leading edge of the heater box rests..........and apparently rattles on some cars.

Does anyone have a pic of how the heater duct hoses are routed? I could make them right to left and left to right sides.......that would eliminate the left hose (I am told) being routed over and under the glove box.

ms
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mdwracer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Car looks awesome!! I have a soft spot for a clean white Elan. As said earlier , it is an inspiration to us all .
Also is that a Lotus 23 in the background...
Mike Winebrenner
mdwracer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 am

003.JPG and

So it has been awhile since my last posting........that was getting the car back from the painter. I think I said something foolish to the effect of "back on the chassis next week". Well that was a few months ago.....having a nasty cold for a month, Christmas, another cold, work, too many race car projects, laziness and really unsure of which technique to put the body back on without damage. My buddy Ken (the voice on the phone at Dave Bean's) gave me his step by step method and today was the day to just do it!! So from start to finish, about 2 hours, body was back on the chassis, and nary a nic.........!!

I cant tell you the excitement and relief when I pushed the car outside for a photo.

So, what is next?? Wow............where to start, headers need to come back off to be jet coated, still need to make up a remote bleeder for the slave cylinder, steering column...............arrrrrrrhhhhhhhh.

Mike Summers
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:42 am

Mike Winebrenner..............sorry like I said have not been on the forum for a few months. To answer your question, yes that is my Lotus 23. I took up vintage racing about 7 years ago when I go to old and fat to continue road racing motorcyles. Car is the ex Frank Monise car from So California. Very well know driver and car from about 1964 to 1976. Just a gas to drive.

Mike
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 am

pedal mount 001.JPG and

So I have some questions right from the start in identifying some parts. This pic shows the mounting boss for the left side (left hand drive car) of the pedal assembly.

Sorry I tried to download two pics at a time and could not make it happen. Please go to next box
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 am

pedal mount 002.JPG and

Here is the mounting boss that goes on the left end of the pedal assembly shaft.....am I missing something that goes between the two?? I have this piece with two large 3/8 holes and the body piece with two long thin slots.......what am I missing??

Mike Summers
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:56 am

Mike, a set of stacked washers go between the frame and pedal support you show and is bolted to the frame. I think the bolts are 5/16, nuts on the backside. The washers allows the support to fully 'embrace' shaft. The nut
s are a real bugger to put on.

Hope this helps.

Greg z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:04 am

A set of washers go BETWEEN the cast piece and the frame mount? And how on earth do you find a small machine screw that will fit through the thin slots on the body mount and have a head large enough to fit the 3/8 holes on the cast piece?? Are there maybe small inserts that fit into the cast piece??

ms
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am

I have recently done that.
I found it easier (less difficult) to fit the screw in from the body side through the bracket, then the washers followed by the boss and a large washer with a small hole. I found it was possible to fit the nut then, as the screw could be held in place with just one finger.
I glued the washers together to make spacers about 7/16ths long which were then easier to handle.
The main difficulty I had was that when I tightened the nuts it jammed the shaft by not being aligned properly.
It required many attempts to get it right.
This was during reassembly after increasing the spacing between the pedals. At least I had everything there, having just stripped it down.
I tied the back spanner to the pedal with a yard of string!! Hope this helps.
Eric in Burnley,
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Eric, thanks for your input. So.........I am getting a clearer picture of the re assembly. What does not make sense (but this is a Lotus) is the two long thin slots on the body side mount. Is there a issue of for and aft adjustment as well as shims (washers) to adjust from right to left? Would it make sense to open up the slots a bit to accept a 1/4 inch bolt......I would think that would be much stronger and stabilizing. And would make much more sense than a number 10 screw passing through those 3/8 holes in the cast mount.

mike
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Mike
The screws on mine are 1/4". The slots are 1/4" clearance and using a drill as a feeler guage, about 0.275" wide. They do not look to have been opened up.
Keep going.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bluesbrother30 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:09 am

fix 001.JPG and

Now that I have accepted that this car was not built by the Japanese, I now have a better understanding on how to deal with the hiccups......just fix the damn thing!! So, not wanting to stack washers, I dug in the scrap bin and made up a aluminum plate that was just a tad larger than the footprint of the cast piece at the end of the pedal shaft. I used two 1/4 stainless bolts that go from the back side of the body mounting plate through two holes drilled in the new spacer plate. I used two standard 1/4 nuts that tightened the spacer plate against the body mount, and as you can see in my blurry photo, they also act as a way to center and limit the movement of the cast end piece. I installed the pedal assembly, leaving all the bolts slightly loose, aligned the cast end piece and the slipped grade 8 washers over the extended bolt, add a nyloc nut and................done.

Thanks again to Eric and Greg

Mike Summers
bluesbrother30
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:47 am

Mike,
Well done; that looks great and a better job than mine, but I am not going there again if I can avoid it. Thanks for the update.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC ( the sun came out yesterday, so I had a blast to experience the new pedal spacing properly and am well pleased.)
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 am

Mike

I knew I had a photo somewhere when you posed your question but could I find it? Looking for something else it turned up. I believe this is original, Lotus used square washers to stop the bolt heads going through the holes in the bearing. Too late now of course but useful for the next time!!

100_2538.JPG and
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: