Does anybody here know the car in the link below

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum this evening and I'll post my introduction later. My question is, as I'm interested in the car in the link below. Does anybody here know it or of any of its history which may influence my decision to buy or not.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... er/1939870

Thank you in advance

fastcat7
fastcat7
Lightest is Usually Fastest
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:52 am

Yes, I can give you quite a bit of it's history. It was the 10th from last Domestic DHC and built on 16 Feb 73, then first registered in London SE district on 12 Mar 73. It was originally coloured Tawny Brown Metallic mono.

Please send me an email, or PM me or contact me via my web site and I shall be happy to fill you in with the rest of the information.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:38 am

Hi All,

I'm now the proud owner of the the PGW193L and pick it up next weekend to return to North Wales its New Home. Now I just have a few little glitches to get over i.e. Get a tow bar fitted to my tow car and see if there is somewhere local to hire a trailer. :D :D :D :D :D :D

fastcat7
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:28 am

Mmmmmmm........when collecting mine I used public transport on the way there........and the new toy on the way back.......
Much more fun.......

Congrats.....looks lovely
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:37 am

Welcome fastcat7! Is this your first Elan?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 pm

gjz30075 wrote:Welcome fastcat7! Is this your first Elan?

Greg Z

Hi Greg, yes it is, I have wanted one since the early 70's but other things take over your life as they do, I owned a Caterham R500 (R101 built by Minster-Power) for 7 years previously but sold that back in 2011 through John Vicker at Millwood to a dealer in Japan where that car is now living.

I'd like to say I'll keep this in standard specification but am already wondering if a Caterham 6 speed box or 5 speed type 9 box is a relatively straight forward conversion as I just loved the ratios in the Caterham 6 speeder :D :D :D :D

The option of public transport or trains is out for me as I'm a former BR and NR employee and trains are an interference in Civil Engineering lol. The trip to Southend from North Wales in not an option really as I'll not be travelling down until late Friday afternoon stopping with a friend in Bedford on Friday evening and then continuing on to Southend and returning to Bedford on Saturday evening and getting back to North Wales on Sunday.

fastcat7
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:25 pm

A search here for gearbox swaps will yield many hours of reading here. Unfortunately, none are an easy conversion.
Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures.

Greg
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am

OP - add up the total of your costs then get a quote from the transport company mentioned under Business and Vendor listings - you may be shocked how economical it is
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 am

See you at Llandudno...

http://www.llantransfest.co.uk/

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:35 am

Hi all thanks for making me feel so welcome,

Greg, Looks like plenty of burning of the midnight oil for me then and that's just the research :lol: :lol: :(

elanfan1, I'll look into that but it's not really an option as so far this car has been bought on spec and I haven't actually seen it yet so the long trip is imminent I'm afraid and it's a chance to catchy up with my friend.

John, That is a definite as although I live about 20 miles from Llandudno I've never been to the event although I've watched the many YouTube video's of the event. Also I usually remember the event on the Friday it's taking place and the Monday after the event because of all the vintage and classic vehicles trundling along the A55 as I pass them either going to or returning home from work.

fastcat7
Lightest is usually fastest
Last edited by fastcat7 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

Gizz30075, Looks like plenty of burning of the midnight oil for me then and that's just the research :lol: :lol: :(

Elanfan1, I'll look into that but it's not really an option as so far this car has been bought on spec and I haven't actually seen it yet so the long trip is imminent I'm afraid and it's a chance to catchy up with my friend.

John, That is a definite as although I live about 20 miles from Llandudno I've never been to the event although I've watched the many YouTube video's of the event. Also I usually remember the event on the Friday it's taking place and the Monday after the event because of all the vintage and classic vehicles trundling along the A55 as I pass them either going to or returning home from work.

fastcat7
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

Gizz30075, Looks like plenty of burning of the midnight oil for me then and that's just the research :lol: :lol: :(

Elanfan1, I'll look into that but it's not really an option as so far this car has been bought on spec and I haven't actually seen it yet so the long trip is imminent I'm afraid and it's a chance to catch up with my friend. :oops: :oops:

John, That is a definite as although I live about 20 miles from Llandudno I've never been to the event although I've watched the many YouTube video's of the event. Also I usually remember the event on the Friday it's taking place and the Monday after the event because of all the vintage and classic vehicles trundling along the A55 as I pass them either going to or returning home from work. :D :D

fastcat7
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Congratulations Fastcat7,

The adventure is just starting. Personally, I almost like the restoration process more than the driving process. I've owned Elans since 1976 and I'll never be without one again. Feel free to ask any questions you like.

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:07 am

Thankyou very much for your kind words in you're reply Frank,. I'm really looking forward to finally realising my dream of owning an Elan Sprint its been a long long time coming. :D :D :D :D

fastcat7 Victoria, Yes thats right I am a Girl :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lightest is usually Fastest
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:11 am

Hello Fastcat7

Welcome to the forum.

Please help me here, when I clicked on the link I was directed to pistonheads but of all the Elans there, I could not find one with that reg, any chance of some pics to see what you have bought? If not, what colour is it now?

Anyway, well done & enjoy your new toy!

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: