Elan Restore - Purists look away

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:47 am

IMG_0046.JPG and
[brave man I know what your in for
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jon.ford » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:07 am

That's a good idea using Saran Wrap, I had to google it we call it cling film in the UK.
You know you have a good car when your wife hates it.
Jon.ford
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mister E » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:52 am

twincamman wrote:just as a tip I use saran wrap to hold the wet fiber glassin place till it hardens then it peels off leaving a nice smooth surface ,,works up side down too ,,ed

Thanks for the tip Twincamman. I am cheating quite a bit on this project. I have assembled the "A" team for the restoration.
The body is with a renowned shop in Portland Oregon. The proprietor not only does top quality paint work but is one of the best fiberglass fabricators on the west coast. He is currently working on 26r headlight conversion that is quite clever. I hope to share some photos sometime soon.
Engine is with a firm that build the lions share of twin cam race engines for vintage and formula fords. Here is a youtube video interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=120&v=8NHJq86NWAg. We are going with a pair of 2" SU's with a port and polish. Makes same webber power with advantage of SU tuning.
The Chassis, running gear and final assembly is being done by the mechanic and caretaker of one of the most important vintage car collections in the Northwest.
Kevin
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
John Player Special
One of none
Mister E
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:05 am

That will hurry things along ....I did ll the work and took 5 years .My friend who is a race engine builder tells me polishing the port actually slows things down as it causes the gas to cling to the port and slow down causing the gas to become droplets and that rough walls allow gas tumbling and gets better atomization . .......it's a big job but worth it when done ..good luck I'm off to drive things and enjoy the summer but will read YOUR posts .....hi ho silver ....AWAY ....ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:56 am

Curious about your 26R headlight conversion, I'm starting an Elan project in Seattle and plan on going that route. John
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:42 am

they came with the car from the factory
Attachments
Copy_of_P1010049.jpg and
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mister E » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:28 pm

john1180 wrote:Curious about your 26R headlight conversion, I'm starting an Elan project in Seattle and plan on going that route. John

Hey John. We are creating a small fiberglass (1/4" recessed lip) all the way around the opening to completely support the plexiglass cover. I'm going to start out with adhesive as attachment. I like the idea of no fasteners showing. We also plan to fabricate a back and bottom cover (under the light) for a finished appearance.

I'm in Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula, not far from you. We have a cars and coffee the first Saturday of the month. Here is the website. http://www.sequimcars.com/ It would be great to have another Lotus fan there some time. We put the Elan on a trailer and drag it down to C&C all the time.
Kevin
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
John Player Special
One of none
Mister E
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mister E » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:29 pm

twincamman wrote:they came with the car

VERY nicely done.
Kevin
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
John Player Special
One of none
Mister E
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Mine has small metal tabs imbedded in the fiber with threaded hols for screws and the Perspex sits on them .i made the aluminum fittings but they were not needed.....il send a pic a little later....tied up for a bit today ....ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:07 pm

head light
Attachments
P1010021.JPG
P1010021.JPG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mister E » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 pm

A little more progress. Rebuilt brakes, painted calipers, stainless lines. Test wheel fitment.
Attachments
calipers on.JPG and
wheel test fit.JPG and
Kevin
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
John Player Special
One of none
Mister E
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mister E » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Repair to underside is just about complete.
Attachments
2015070995105521.jpg and
Kevin
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
John Player Special
One of none
Mister E
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Looking good. For some reason I like the gold colour Chassis! Normally a black/red/silver kind of person but digging the gold on yours.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mister E » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:45 am

mbell wrote:Looking good. For some reason I like the gold colour Chassis! Normally a black/red/silver kind of person but digging the gold on yours.

mbell,
Thank you! I'm also typically partial to more subtle colors schemes, yet the gold is really working for me. Glad you like it as well.
Kevin
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
John Player Special
One of none
Mister E
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mister E » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:53 am

This will cause a bit of heart burn for the traditionalists. First step in converting to S1 tail.
Attachments
tail.jpg and
Upside down
Kevin
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
John Player Special
One of none
Mister E
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: