36 / 4982 -

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:32 am

................... i don't really understand this either: in any case my chassis number is right next to the oil pump: thats the same position for all elans AND may car never had a VIN number PLUS i bought a new body at lotus (norfolk) in 1981 --- these two identical 36/4982 numberings must be sufficient to identify this car, dont you think fellas???? (plus of course a modified 701 block: new numbers, which is wrong obviously) PLEASE HELP ME CLARIFY THIS!!! sandy
Those wou've been following steve's thread may look at my last pictures (steves t.) and tell me what else i must do to verify my cars' heritage! PLEASE ---- i wont ask again elan1!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 am

Sandy, you can not be so emphatic that your car never had a VIN number. Again, let us please be clear here.

It may well be that your car hasn't had a VIN plate during your ownership. They are after all easy to take off. What you need to have is the Unit Number. Now the Unit No was indeed to be found on the VIN plate. As a rule component (kit) cars did not have the Engine No or the Colour Code scribed into them, only the factory built cars had those numbers.

If what you are saying is that the number you have on your chassis rail is 36/4982 and that you know the chassis to be original to your car, then 4982 is your cars Unit No. Thus I or Andy Graham at Lotus can let you know the original engine number fitted to that car and the approximate date of invoice.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 am

thanks tim - i'd be very grateful for this additional information ( i wuz thinking the original patinized plaque with the orig. chassis inscription should be enough evidence!?!?) sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 am

Sandy
When it comes to Lotus the only information you can trust is a detailed and verifiable history, most of which you have.

Numbers on the body plate, the dymo number molded into the body ( if you have it) , crayon numbers on various body locations, engine number and number stamped in the chassis (if you have it) all help but non are definitive in themselves individually. Its the total story including all the little details of a car and how it all adds up that enables conclusions to be drawn about a particular car (or not as the case may be)

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 am

Rohan - it would be nice to have all those things but as he had a new factory bodyshell in 1981 they will not exist. Sandy if I were you I'd just buy a new chassis plate and inscribe it with with the correct no. Probably make dealing with the Swiss authorities a lot easier too.

From what I can glean your car is a bitsa (bitsa this one and bits of that one or at least has a replacement shell and a different engine) it's still an Elan and a very desirable car, you enjoy it and that I'm sure is the most important thing to you, don't get too hung up on the numbers. Write to LotusArchives on here and see what information is available on your chassis no. (Or you might be lucky and he's looking in anyway! Hi Andy!)
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 am

thanks fellas as the chassis plate AND chassis no. (near oilpump) correspond and my paperwork only show the date of 1st immatriculationand the above data there's actually no room for any further doubt, is there?? sandy -- PS the body has some numbers but they have NOTHING to do with my car!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Maybe that's why elans and +2's aren't big with the "numbers matching, buy it for an investment" crowd. With enough money on hand, everything, from the body to the chassis plate is replaceable, or reproducible, with nothing to track except an individual car's history or providence. The real value of the car is enjoying the time invested in researching, driving, maintaining, racing, or even ,gasp, modifying it. If there's joy in selling it, I would suggest that your joy is misplaced. :wink:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Steve,

I did not realise new VIN plates were available. Who can I buy one from?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:37 pm

You can get them from Lotus if you prove you own the car and there's a decent reason for needing one - I got one years ago for a burned car - it came all nicely stamped. They appear on eBay too but some are incorrect.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:43 am

bud - i DO share your views: that's why my rel. new body (its a dhc and should be a fhc) means nothing imo! --------its the chassis and the riveted plaque which are either original or "FAKE" sandy PS as you may remember: my car was imported and registered as "OPEN with a hardtop" even though the ROOF was part of the body ---------------------------------------- so i made use of THEIR mistake and kept it that way. if i would've asked for this it wouldn't have happened!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the reply, my VIN plate is scruffy and almost illegible, I would prefer something smarter.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Steve,
I am in the same boat regarding a missing VIN plate. I got my Elan from a Sheriff's warehouse for storage fees after it was stolen from the original owner and he apparently did not want it back. The VIN plate/ information plate is missing (I assume that it was rivetted to the flat horizontal area area on the left side of the engine bay) and it would be nice to have a replacement.

Do you have contact information regarding who at Lotus I might talk to regarding this? Another poster mentioned Lotus Archives?

Kansas Randy
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Send an email to Andy Graham, the Lotus Archivist at [email protected]

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Sue Miller sells two types of `commission plate` Cheshunt and Hethel . Could that be it?
Other dealers may have them also.
New Elan Vin plates are on ebay, but seem expensive to me at ?35.00, and as Steve says above, you need to be careful.
Eric in burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: