Elan purchase

PostPost by: AMP » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:10 pm

I have a Porsche 356 that im planing to sell. Owned it for 40 years.
But have always wanted an Elan convertible. My wife and I both are now interested in a convertible.
I test drove an Elan for sale on a car lot in 1971 but not since.

I would very much like to sit in one and ideally drive it a mile or two to confirm it would be something I could fit in an enjoy now that I am 70 years old (a young healthy 70 I will add)

The reason for my post is to ask if there is an Elan owner within reasonable distance of my location who would accommodate me on this.

I am near Charlotte NC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ashley Page
AMP
New-tral

PostPost by: m750rider » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:14 am

I am just southeast of Asheville in Fairview, about 2 hrs from Charlotte, near 74A, the old Charlotte Highway. Just over the mountain from Lake Lure. You are welcome to come by.

I've owned my 1969 S4 SE since 1973, bought it from the original owner.

Closer to you, you might also check out Evans Leinbach in Salisbury, he does beautiful work on vintage Lotus. I think he owns an Esprit not any Elans, but is a very nice guy and can tell you lots about Lotus, might even have one in his shop.

Bob
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 am

Too bad you are not a bit closer. If you want take a trip to Napa wine country I?d be happy to share with you my original owner 69 S4SE DHC.

cf5e8f5f-57ce-4c0a-bcb8-012cd871de6e.jpeg and

Before the Lotus purchase in 69 I drove a friend?s 356SC for most of a year while he was away. Very cool car and relatively fast. But, moving into the Elan was almost a generational jump. A car ahead of its time.

If you fit in the 356 I would think the Elan would be no problem. Actually can accommodate taller folks(not my problem). We are the same age and I can assure you the Elan is highly enjoyable.

Little harder to hoist myself out the seat than it used to be, but not really a problem. Car is small compared to everything else on the road, so you need to stay alert but its handling and acceleration are your safety margin.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AMP » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:04 am

Thanks very much Bob for the reply. I may take you up on that and will give you plenty of notice. Actually I am planing to go to Maggie Valley to see the motor bike guy.

After posting this thread a car guy friend 1/2 mile from my house said he has an Elan. It has a broken engine but I can go sit in it. Knew he was a fan but did not know he had one.

Thanks, much appreciated

m750rider wrote:I am just southeast of Asheville in Fairview, about 2 hrs from Charlotte, near 74A, the old Charlotte Highway. Just over the mountain from Lake Lure. You are welcome to come by.

I've owned my 1969 S4 SE since 1973, bought it from the original owner.

Closer to you, you might also check out Evans Leinbach in Salisbury, he does beautiful work on vintage Lotus. I think he owns an Esprit not any Elans, but is a very nice guy and can tell you lots about Lotus, might even have one in his shop.

Bob
AMP
New-tral

PostPost by: AMP » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:10 am

Thanks very much for the reply and the offer. As hot as it?s been here would very much like to be in Napa.

Thanks also for the commits re comparison of driving the 356 vs Elan. What I had thought would be the case.

Much appreciated!

1owner69Elan wrote:Too bad you are not a bit closer. If you want take a trip to Napa wine country I?d be happy to share with you my original owner 69 S4SE DHC.

CF5E8F5F-57CE-4C0A-BCB8-012CD871DE6E.jpeg

Before the Lotus purchase in 69 I drove a friend?s 356SC for most of a year while he was away. Very cool car and relatively fast. But, moving into the Elan was almost a generational jump. A car ahead of its time.

If you fit in the 356 I would think the Elan would be no problem. Actually can accommodate taller folks(not my problem). We are the same age and I can assure you the Elan is highly enjoyable.

Little harder to hoist myself out the seat than it used to be, but not really a problem. Car is small compared to everything else on the road, so you need to stay alert but its handling and acceleration are your safety margin.
AMP
New-tral

PostPost by: ftsoft » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 am

I owned a 59 356 convertible D before I bought the Elan. There really is no comparison as far as performance goes, but the Porsche was a lot easier to get in and out of than the Elan, which at 76 is getting harder for me. There is an article somewhere that shows that the speedster and the Karmann Ghia (sic) are almost identical performance wise.

Frank
66 S2 26/5194
LP4711LA-B
ftsoft
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm kind of on the way to Maggie Valley, let me know when and you're welcome to take it for a drive.

I will be out of town on vacation from Jul 21 through Aug 3.

There is also a very good Porsche mechanic in Hendersonville if you drive it - he works regularly on 356 and others, would probably love to see it.

Bob
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tfb0001 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Ashley, I have a 1969 elan convertible that I might be willing to part with. I live in Roanoke, Virginia, about 31/2 hours from Charlotte. I drive it every week and I'm sure it would make the trip to N.C. if you would like to see it. I have owned the car since 1980 and have really enjoyed it, particularly on our twisty mountain roads here. Let me know if you would like pics and info on upgrades. Tom Butler 540-580-1435
tfb0001
New-tral

PostPost by: AMP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 am

Sat in a ?66 SE today and, although the foot well is narrower, there is at least as much leg room as the 356. Narrow footwell is not an issue.

The Elan top was down so easy to get in and out of. But with the top up I could believe it might be a harder car to get in and out of than a 356 coupe - but only a guess.

The Elan seats are better in that they have bolsters and you feel held in where as in a 356 you sit on top of the seat.
AMP
New-tral

PostPost by: baileyman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 am

Sometimes people try to do something other than foot, butt, foot, and it gets awkward.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:54 am

With Porsche 356 current selling prices you should be able to move into a top example Elan.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AMP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:37 am

Getting in a 356 coupe = duck-butt-feet
You have to have good knees for a foot-butt-foot loading sequence. :D
AMP
New-tral

Total Online: