Fascinating Photo Taken in Cheshunt in 1963

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Lotus14S2 wrote:
The Veg wrote:Mike, what are the 'write-offs?'

Cars that had been crashed. Lotus supplied bodies from the Bristol Aircraft stock to customers that had cars which were total write-offs in accidents.

aka"Totalled" in US parlance.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Another way of identifying LHD cars is via the three tail lights each side... as distinct to two for rest of world.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm

billwill wrote:...
Right-click the small picture and choose "open in another tab" or window or suchlike to get a higher resolution picture, then download that to magnify and view.

Or as on my iMac, drag the link to a new tab, as some kind of crazy "redirect" warning shows up instead.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ivorbadger2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 am

billwill wrote:
Quart Meg Miles wrote:i can't see all the details others are talking about in my download of the picture (42Kbytes). What surprises me is how many fully built cars are being shipped, I thought nearly all were supplied as kits in the early days.

Right-click the small picture and choose "open in another tab" or window or suchlike to get a higher resolution picture, then download that to magnify and view.

Thanks, that's much better. The blue Elan in the bottom fore ground appears to be lhd and the chrome work is protected by some sort of red coating. All the Elans on the trucks have the same red chrome work. So export order on the way to the docks.
ivorbadger2
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am

Wonder if the same people live in those houses are still there (or if the houses even still exist) and whether they?d have any period photos tucked away?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:41 am

From Google street view it would seem that the same houses are still there - Palmers Way, Cheshunt. And selling for typical outer London prices, particularly since that nasty car company has moved elsewhere :lol:

It's odd how you can compartmentalise these things as I've been looking at the photograph with mature Elan owner eyes and forgetting that back when the factory was in operation I used to go to school daily on the railway line that runs behind Delamare Rd, getting on/off at the next station. I only lived five or six miles away and used to cycle into Cheshunt / Waltham Cross frequently. If only I'd known I could have nipped round with my Kodak and taken a few pictures.

I probably didn't notice the cars as I was too busy either doing my homework or looking at the girls from Herts and Essex Grammar. :lol: :lol:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Wonder if the same people live in those houses are still there (or if the houses even still exist) and whether they?d have any period photos tucked away?

The same houses still exist, as shown by this Google earth photo from April 2018:
palmersway_lotuscheshunt_apr2018.png and
Palmers Way is the street with the houses
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Oh My what a fascinating photo! I wonder how many of these cars aren't racers now.
I would love to know more of the gold car in the picture (very cool).
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
1965 Elan S2 (Early 26R replica)
2001 Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Car
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: