Final touches to my Elan S2 restoration

PostPost by: PaulH » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:30 am

Here's a link to a video showing the final touches to my Elan Restoration. Sorry it's a bit of an epic again, oops. It covers: Cant rails; badges; final drive rotoflex couplings; under seat trim; general catch up under the bonnet (hood); and the silver trim at the front.

https://youtu.be/sJ7-L2lCPyo

I may find some excuse to post some more video, not least the car in use, but for the reassembly that just about it. Hope all the videos have been of interest and that some putting their S2s back together will find them a useful resource. I can't guarantee it's all exactly to the book and original but I've done my best.

Many thanks to Neil, Richard and Brian for their guidance and others who have given feedback via this forum that has assisted and encouraged me.

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 pm

I?ve been loving your videos Paul, they?re been great.

A couple of questions on the bumper chrome strip:

1. Is it still in place around the wheel arch (has it separated?)
2. When looking at the cross section of the strip is one half wider then the other ? If this is so, which side is top?

Thanks and well done on the restoration !

Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Thank you Paul, a very helpful series.

There are plenty of useful tips and references. I need to watch them all again and write down my questions in a coherent format (after checking those asked already).

Are a hood and tonneau cover on their way ?
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:16 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote:I?ve been loving your videos Paul, they?re been great.

A couple of questions on the bumper chrome strip:

1. Is it still in place around the wheel arch (has it separated?)
2. When looking at the cross section of the strip is one half wider then the other ? If this is so, which side is top?

Thanks and well done on the restoration !

Richard

1. If you mean where it goes around to the wheel arch. So far it's still in place. But it's less than a week since I did it:
trim.jpg and

2. Regarding the cross section of the trim strip I put the wider part at the top.

Glad you've enjoyed the videos.

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Frogelan wrote:Thank you Paul, a very helpful series.

There are plenty of useful tips and references. I need to watch them all again and write down my questions in a coherent format (after checking those asked already).

Are a hood and tonneau cover on their way ?

I'm happy to have a go at answering questions.

You've found a good reason for another video - the hood. I've got the original hood which is in one piece with a bit of damage near a couple of the Tenax fasteners. I'll aim to reuse it if I can. It'll be a while before I have a go at it.
I don't have a tonneau; if anyone has an unused one without the Tenax fasteners in place I'd be interested.

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: