Seat padding for a Federal Sprint

PostPost by: Evante » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone know if one can purchase pre-formed seat padding for a Federal Sprint? After 47 years, my seats are a little tired.

Jay S.
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi Jay, the only thing different in the seat foams between a non-headrest & headrest foams is the addition of the headrest foam, all the other foams are identical.

Aldridge Trim sell the regular seat foams - /https://www.aldridge.co.uk/. Here is what the Aldridge foams look like:
img_5793.jpg and
img_5792.jpg and

I have most of the pieces left over from a couple of seats that were recovered, what do you need?

BTW I can also supply Federal seat covers, I currently have one set in stock, here's how they look installed:
jimjones_seatsrecoveredwithmycovers.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Evante » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:59 pm

Thank you for the info Phil.

I need the foam for the bottom of the seat where the front rail hits under my legs for both seats. I have not taken the seats apart yet to inspect all of the foam but that is the most uncomfortable part. I assume I will need more sections as well, such as the bottom, back, and bolsters.

Jay
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sking06 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Phil,
Do I understand you correctly, that you have federal seat covers ready to install on the frame? If so, what is the cost?

Skip King
Sking06
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am

Sking06 wrote:Hi Phil,
Do I understand you correctly, that you have federal seat covers ready to install on the frame? If so, what is the cost?

Skip King

Skip, yes I do, PM sent.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Evante wrote:I need the foam for the bottom of the seat where the front rail hits under my legs for both seats. I have not taken the seats apart yet to inspect all of the foam but that is the most uncomfortable part. I assume I will need more sections as well, such as the bottom, back, and bolsters.

Jay

Hi Jay,
I recovered my Elan S2 seats and created this video (link below) to show what was involved. I know they are different but may be similar enough for the video to show what's under the vinyl.
https://youtu.be/VBfPyeaW0gg

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:13 pm

I inquired about the foam from Aldridge.

If you're in The USA, don't bother. 67 pounds for the foam. 150 pounds to ship it. lol

Does anyone have a suppler in the USA, or one with a more reasonable shipping department?

-Kyle
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Phil,

Would you please PM me on the cost for the federal seat covers?

Many thanks,

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 pm

I asked the folks at Aldridge if they?d look into compressing their foam for cheaper shipping and they did. It was still $180 dollars total. But far less than I was originally quoted.

Kyle
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 pm

disquek wrote:I asked the folks at Aldridge if they?d look into compressing their foam for cheaper shipping and they did. It was still $180 dollars total. But far less than I was originally quoted.

Kyle

Kyle, there really is nothing special about the foam in our seats, it's not molded like modern seats. Just do an e-bay search on "upholstery sheet foam".

You can use your existing pieces as a pattern.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 pm

jbeach wrote:Phil,

Would you please PM me on the cost for the federal seat covers?

Many thanks,

-John

PM Sent
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 pm

pharriso wrote:
disquek wrote:I asked the folks at Aldridge if they?d look into compressing their foam for cheaper shipping and they did. It was still $180 dollars total. But far less than I was originally quoted.

Kyle

Kyle, there really is nothing special about the foam in our seats, it's not molded like modern seats. Just do an e-bay search on "upholstery sheet foam".

You can use your existing pieces as a pattern.

That is what I had done locally. Cost wasn?t that bad. I just took one apart myself to add seat heater pads, which I really like.

Cheers

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 pm

Buy foam and cut it yourself is good advise.

Dont buy the foam kit from Aldridge. Despite knowing for certain that I was in the USA and that my car was an S4, they sent me the wrong foam kit. And they refuse to make it right. They're opinion is that the foam kit they sent me will fit the UK S4 (which is NOT what I have - and they knew it).

Oh well. Be warned. Aldridge does not deal well with their mistakes.
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 am

disquek wrote:Dont buy the foam kit from Aldridge. Despite knowing for certain that I was in the USA and that my car was an S4, they sent me the wrong foam kit. And they refuse to make it right. They're opinion is that the foam kit they sent me will fit the UK S4 (which is NOT what I have - and they knew it).

Oh well. Be warned. Aldridge does not deal well with their mistakes.

Kyle, as I said back on November 5th " the only thing different in the seat foams between a non-headrest & headrest foams is the addition of the headrest foam, all the other foams are identical."

You can just re-use your existing headrest foam, or remake it yourself. It's pretty easy.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: