Tallest Elan driver?

PostPost by: Bits » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Great reply about your mod to your peddle box Eric. :D

img_2516.jpg and

My size 46 OMP driving boots are exactly 100mm wide (not the one's shown in the pic) which I will wear when in the elan. Yours is a mod I will look into when I get my body back from the painters.

Thanks,

Mark.
Bits
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:16 pm

somehow nobody^s talkin about shoes: DO ALL OF YOU CHAPS HAVE A PAIR OF ELAN SHOES???? yes or no??? -

ok, big feet are a REAL minus!! (try an F3 for size to see how TOO big yr shoes/feet are!!?) sandy, alps
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Spyder fan wrote:
Elanintheforest wrote:I'm 6'5'' and have had my S3 Coupe since the mid 1970s. No problem with fitting in, although the feet are a bit large for the pedals with normal shoes on, and I wouldn't want to be driving it for many hours on end as I used to.

Mark

Mark,
Was it you who told me the story about someone selling an Elan because they found it too cramped for their long legs. He had the seat runners bolted to the forwards position and didn?t know it?

Yes, It was the chap I bought the S4 from. After a few years of driving it he was fed up with the cramped driving position, and couldn't believe it when I got the spanner out and shifted the seat to the rear position. He was about 6'1'' !!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:49 pm

ok - seat in proper position is really an issue to consider before you take a look at your large and overcomfertabile adidas - bare feet are the lightest and smallest option however ------ remember: you purists arent allowed to switch to unoriginal mods ................... sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:52 pm

ericbushby wrote:Hi guys,
Nearly everyone on this thread has commented about the pedals being close together.
It is not such a difficult job to alter the spacing to your liking (or your shoes).
If you type `pedal spacing ` in the search box at the top of this page, the first entry is my description of how I did it six years ago.
It is not difficult, the pedals are only mild steel sheet and bend fairly easily with a vice and large hammer. No heat needed.
I moved the brake pedal 1/2" and the clutch 1"
If you think of doing it, I now think 3/8" and 3/4" would suffice.
On a RHD car try not to disturb the RH bearing as that was the most difficult to get right afterwards.
The only downside is that I can no longer slide my left foot down the side of the clutch pedal. It has to come back and under to rest position.
Hope this is useful to someone
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC

I don't know why I hadn't even thought about doing this in the past 40 odd years! Maybe I took it for granted when I first got the car, but the mod looks very good. I had this done on my Clio V6 only a couple of years back and it transformed the driving experience, so I think I'll give it a go on the Elan.

Thanks Eric.

Here's the link to the mods, folks...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30427
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Gentlemen,

Whilst at 6?4? I am far from being the tallest here, I have a long spine and comparatively short legs and only just fit inside my S4 FHC. I have had the head lining replaced closer to the roof, and taken springs out of the seat. I effectively sit on the floor.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Slightly off topic.. new category - tallest passenger in the back seat of a +2, with front seat passenger as well.

My candidate - 6ft 10" - Big Jon.

Jeremy
(6ft 4")
Attachments
big-jon1.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 am

I am a Tower
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 am

it's good big jon doesn't have to wear a helmet!! - sandy i feel sorry for him anyhow
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Helmets are one reason why I have avoided trying anything on tracks or other forms of organised motorsport. In most any closed car I'd have to slouch down in the seat to make room for the helmet.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Here's a 6'10" guy getting into a Lotus Europa!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LghcabmuOzA
now that's just awful... :lol:
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:39 am

I started this thread referring to a 6? 7? Elan driver. He promised me a picture and here it is. He doesn?t try to drive it with the top (hood) up.
img_5458.jpeg and

I note that the Elan looks like an S3 with an S4 bonnet.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: