Anyone else done this?

PostPost by: chrisawyer » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:20 pm

While adjusting the trunk bumpers, I made the cardinal mistake of just pulling down on the lid without relieving tension on the plastic roller by opening the "hairpin" stay. (I must have gotten impatient as I had done it the previous times...) As you might expect, the next sound was that of the bolt holding said roller falling into the trunk and underneath the fuel tank, and the roller landing atop the tank. The bolt looks like it was a 12-24, and threaded into a bobbin. There's a possibility the fix is as simple as putting it all back together and being more careful the next time, but if it's not, can the bobbin be tapped to, say, 1/4-20 -- the next size up -- and a new bolt fitted?
chrisawyer
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:20 pm

The bolt is 1/4" UNC x 1" long. Try just replacing it before resorting to any drilling and tapping but if the thread is stripped I can see no reason why you can't tap it out to the next size up.
Not sure why you need to manually open the hairpin spring to close the bootlid, a bit of grease on the nylon bobbin may help.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:47 pm

Hi Chris,
I was disappointed at how tight the new hairpin was on the bobbin and I thought the amount of pull required to open or close the boot lid was excessive.
Using the vice and a hammer I reduced the angles of the hairpin spring until it was just enough to hold the lid open.
It is much better now.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrisawyer » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:04 pm

Thank you both. These responses are very helpful. Many thanks!
chrisawyer
New-tral

Total Online: