Door Mirrors

PostPost by: gentry74 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:12 pm

not at the moment....but you can see them on this elan

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15616&start=

or here

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... lan-s4-se/

You use included hardware to mount from outside. No removal of any door parts

i bought convex for one side and concave for the other.
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris-72sprint » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:29 pm

Many thanks
Chris
Chris-72sprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:53 pm

I've got the Tex mirrors on my Plus 2. Good overall, but the one on the passenger side is almost useless. I'd have to mount it in a noticeably different position for it to be more useful, and it's already slightly farther back than the one on the driver side. The positions are slightly ahead of the front edge of the window like most side-mirrors on most cars. But still a HUGE improvement and they look right at home on a sporty GT of the late '60s/early '70s.

As for the mounting method, the way it works is that a plastic base has to sleeves that insert into two holes in the door and then expand when screws are tightened into them, and then the mirror attaches to the base with a single set-screw. I found this to be woefully inadequate as the sleeves really expand enough, which meant the mirrors were wobbly and every time I brushed one walking past it in the garage, it fell off! I recitified this with a wide washer and nyloc nut on each screw, but of course the washers had to be bent to accommodate the curve of the door. Not a big deal as I already had the door-cards off for unrelated reasons, but reaching the nuts to thread them then tighten everything was a bit if a tight reach.
Attachments
i-pg2GK72-X2.jpg and
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gentry74 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:02 pm

Since I think it will be asked now that the opinion on plus2 has been added....

on my s3 dhc the TEX mirrors on both sides are very useful. Mounted in same exact spot on both sides. Driver side has 100% visibility. Bottom left corner of passenger mirror shows door frame but the overall effect of the mirror is that I can see wonderfully out that side too... which is a huge change from the previous mirrors.

I agree the plastic anchors are not epic. You have to tighten the screws right up to the edge of busting the plastic without going over. Since its a blind hole... its all by feel and annoying
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:10 pm

I found the plastic to be 'made of cheese' as they say and the point where the screws just kept turning without traveling any further still wasn't enough.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gentry74 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:15 pm

The Veg wrote:I found the plastic to be 'made of cheese' as they say and the point where the screws just kept turning without traveling any further still wasn't enough.

any chance your holes got drilled oversized? I under-tightened at first and discovered the mirrors to be loose after first drive... but then tightening to edge of destruction and no problems since. I DO think when I take them off again to paint the car, I will secure as you have... with nut.
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 pm

gentry74 wrote:
The Veg wrote:I found the plastic to be 'made of cheese' as they say and the point where the screws just kept turning without traveling any further still wasn't enough.

any chance your holes got drilled oversized?

No, the sleeves were still a pretty close fit. Maybe the door was made of thicker stuff than yours though, definitely thicker than the sheet-metal that the mirror's manufacturer intended.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:44 pm

IMG_6317.jpeg and
Had the door frame out yesterday to re-tension the window cable (I think it had stretched as no fixings were loose - the modified Angus Black window fittings make this so easy!) so I took the opportunity to fit the door mirror I’d had for a couple of years.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MartijnElanS4 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:22 pm

Hi!

I really like your solution. Could you let me know where you got this one?

Thanks,

Martijn

holywood3645 wrote:I used these as I didn't was to drill holes in fiberglass. They attach to window frame and don't inhibit electric window operation
MartijnElanS4
New-tral

PostPost by: l10tus » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:36 pm

I don't like the idea of drilling the fibreglass doors or wings to mount the Sebring bullet type mirrors, so tried to use the proprietary chrome window frame screw clamp-on type. These I found to be quite useless!
Both mirrors vibrated off in minutes as the clamp is not sufficiently bent, to clamp at the correct angle, when the loose clamp plate, packing rubber and Allen screws are attempted to be fitted. I'm not sure where to go with this now? Not sure if the early cars can even accept the clamp on type either? So my Sprint and S2 are both void of rear view side mirrors - bummer!
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:45 pm

I didn't want to drill the fibreglass so bought two of the clamp-on rectangular mirrors. I mounted them with the long edge horizontal.

The biggest problem was getting the angles right. I had to twist the mounting brackets to get a suitable view and not just see the floor. The passenger side was particularly tricky as the mirror would hit the bracket, so I had to grind a small amount away to get the correct view. I also slightly closed the front of the clamping slot in a vice to help it clamp. The fancy chrome cover hid all the markings and grindings, although I had to twist this to a new shape to fit the twist in the bracket.

I clamped it directly to the frame (with an aluminium spacer replacing the one that came with the mirror) so the frame wouldn't get marked. I moved the window channel rubber out of the way so it was clamped directly against the metal of the frame. I was surprised at how well they clamp on. They have been there for a few months and have not moved at all. I took them off to reposition, and the frame has not been marked at all.

It would have been nice to be a fit and forget, but overall, I am very happy with the result.
Attachments
clamp_on_rectangle-1.jpg and
Clamp on mirror
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:49 pm

I agree with you Philip, the clamp on ones don't work for me. I have been thinking for a while if it would be possible to mount a small camera right behind the door where the trim around the body is (DHC). I don't have the knowledge of how to connect a camera to a screen to display the image.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:47 pm

Hi

I once used something similar (but from memory better) than this on my +2, it was entirely inside the car but did work.

All the best

Berni
Attachments
mirror.jpeg and
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:36 am

I plan on fitting some Talbot mirrors on my Elan. I had them on my Europa and they were fantastic. Not cheap, but really nice.
I just need to call up Gunther and order some.

http://www.talbotco.com/talbot_mirror.htm
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: