right angle speedo drive to gearbox

PostPost by: stephenvincent » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:30 am

Can anyone let me know if it is possible to change the o-ring and gasket to the right angle speedo drive without removing the gearbox. It doesn't look like there is alot of room. I have a 1969 series 4.
stephenvincent
New-tral

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:43 am

Mine's an S3 but I would expect it to be similar. Shortly after I bought it ('70s) the RH drive fell off the gearbox and bounced along the road on the end of the speedo cable while I drove on, wondering what the noise was and why the speedo had stopped.

So yep, if it can fall off on it's own (and I did put it back) then there should be enough room to change the gasket.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:18 pm

UAB807F wrote:
…….So yep, if it can fall off on it's own (and I did put it back) then there should be enough room to change the gasket.

Brian

Brings new meaning to “assembly is the reverse of removal” :D
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:40 pm

:D

yeah, on those days the Elan made every effort to revert to a kit of parts, the old chestnut about "collectors car - go back and collect what's fallen off" was very apt. I became very good at roadside bodges.....
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:44 pm

If you're trying to fix leaks search the forum for many posts on the topic. I put my oar in at viewtopic.php?f=37&t=39418

The paper gasket, part no 4 in the linked thread above, is of dubious value. You can remove it by simply epoxying parts 3 & 4 together. This might seem like sacrilege but the character of the angle drive is not the least impinged - it continues to leak quite happily, just a little bit less than before. :D

Removing and installing it in situ is certainly possible. Removing the gearbox mount makes it easier but isn't necessary.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: