Looking through 1965 elan s2 parts from barn find

PostPost by: Scrap2cash » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:30 pm

Uploaded a update video of looking through all the parts from my 1965 elan s2
Was debating on what to do with it but think I have decided to not take on the project my self. Think I’m going to try and sell it as a package first or I guess part it out if I have to. Feel like it would be a shame to not get it put back together and separate all the parts but I don’t have the time or resources right now to take it on.
Will have some more updates soon.

Link to my first post regarding the elan s2
viewtopic.php?t=53686

Link to the YouTube video looking through all the s2 parts.
https://youtu.be/6uWkZF5VuAs?si=4XtUkaI0pugtnqwX
Scrap2cash
New-tral

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:42 pm

I suggest working on things that cost nothing (body prep) when you have time. Store everything else away and eventually finish.
Might take 3-5 years, but that is ok. These always take a long time.
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:26 pm

Photograph everything (twice) store your images somewhere you will be able to find them in the ten years it might take you to finish the project. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexm9301 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:17 pm

It's a tough call whether to take on a full restoration project like your '65 Elan barn find. I appreciate you sharing the thought process on what to do next with it.Given the time and resources needed to properly resuscitate it, trying to sell as a single lot first does seem wise before resorting to parting it out. Documenting all the included components in detail will help prospective buyers grasp the scope and restoration feasibility.And if you do go the part-out route, at least the YouTube video walkthrough gives potential buyers better visibility on exactly what Elan bits are available. Helps match parts to enthusiasts' specific needs.Whatever route it ultimately takes, thanks for taking us along on the journey recovering this S2! Bittersweet when schedules don't align to take these dream projects on, but here's hoping the Elan finds its way back to roadworthy glory someday via a new caretaker. Looking forward to the next update! Editable templates are more flexible and can be used to create a wider variety of pages. Static templates are less flexible and can only be used to create a narrower variety of pages.In this article, we will provide tips and guidelines for writing a successful jury duty excuse letter, including information on what to include in the letter and how to format it.
alexm9301
New-tral

PostPost by: Scrap2cash » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:32 am

Thanks everyone for commenting and for the positive feedback! I am not sure how to respond to each comment individually this was the only way I could see to respond
Scrap2cash
New-tral

PostPost by: zog » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:20 am

Don't part it out!

Thanks for posting the video. Opening boxes on a basket case Lotus is like Christmas morning to me. I've done quite a few of these.

Looks like you have a complete project there is real solid shape. If it's too much for you I'm sure someone will want it.

Don't part it out!

Good luck!

zog
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:01 pm

Wot zog said: Don't part it out. An experienced owner or restorter can tell you what all the parts are. Or, contact your local Lotus club. I bet they would love to help you catalogue the items. Which - may I say - are really well packed into those plastic boxes. You got new parts as well, nice one!

I made a few notes for you while watching the video.

01:19 (or thereabouts) You mention the gap above the front bumper. There is a silver plastic trim that covers that.
19:54 The weird item is a vacuum actuator that pulls on the light pods so they open. You should have one per side. That looks new - they are rare and expensive.
18:54 Gauge (it looks like an ammeter) is not original to the car (but may have been added).
26:10 It's a heater box for the cockpit. Only one fitted to the car.
27:25 That doesn't look like an original radiator (I think it's an upgraded one).
28:55 It's the coil - generates the spark for the spark plugs.
29:30 Non standard electronic ignition unit.
30:24 Power cable has non standard connector on it. Cable normally goes from battery + terminal to starter relay.
33:20 Mechanical fuel pump, original.
34:30 Oil pump, original.
35:22 Maybe "Knock - offs" (refers to the wheel spinners that are like big nuts to keep the wheels on the axles.)
35:30 Those are the "knock off" hubs with the wheel spinners attached. Also in that box, the handbrake tree and actuating rods.
37:45 A generator. What Lotus would have fitted in 1965 but later on (around 1972) they switched to an alternator.
39:37 Interesting - you seem to have hubs with bolt on wheels but the knock off hubs also - maybe the last owner was going to convert it to knock off wheels?
44:30 Master cylinder - brakes. The smaller one is for the clutch.
47:38 Front top wishbone.
48:18 Dashboard has an additional hole, probably for the (non standard) ammeter I mentioned above. It can be re-veneered for less than the cost of replacement.

Good luck
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: McSteve » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:28 am

I went to see this car yesterday. It is a project that I really want to tackle (I Have done many other British cars in the past), but it is missing the windshield frame, windshield, seats and gas tank. Anyone know where I could get any of those missing parts?
McSteve
New-tral

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:46 am

McSteve wrote:I went to see this car yesterday. It is a project that I really want to tackle (I Have done many other British cars in the past), but it is missing the windshield frame, windshield, seats and gas tank. Anyone know where I could get any of those missing parts?

Someone just posted a pair of seats forsale.
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: