steering column bushes

PostPost by: stephenvincent » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:09 am

Is it possible to replace the rubber bushes without removing the inner column. Does the outer column come off and leave the inner in place? 1969 S4.
stephenvincent
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:15 am

When I did mine I had the whole column off the car. I think it'd be very difficult with the column in situ. Inner column definitely has to come out. Otherwise, how would you slide the bush into position?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ray419G » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:30 am

I did the job on my S4, it was a long time ago, but I am sure you can't replace the bushes with the inner column in place. The inner column is in two parts, there is a clamp joint down by the base of the outer column, in the foot well. If you undo this joint the upper part of the inner and outer column can be removed together. I don't think it's possible to remove the outer and leave the inner in place - unless someone on this site has managed it and can tell us how!
Ray.
Ray419G
New-tral

PostPost by: baileyman » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:02 pm

I remember getting the new bush in the hardest job of all! But the memory of how to put it in has been banished for psychological reasons. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: DamianB » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:22 pm

In case it helps, I replaced mine ('67 S3) recently using the uprated bushes https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-209423UR from Rimmer Bros

I followed the advice from the forum and silicone greased the new bushes, constrained them inside a jubilee/hose clip and pushed them into place with a suitably sized socket on an extension bar. They went in with no trouble at all. Together with a new UJ to the rack, they made my steering so much more direct.
Damian
67 French-Blue Elan S3 DHC 45/7001
DamianB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: lotusposition » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:18 pm

Just wondering...At what sort of age/mlieage would you expect to benefit from new bushes ?
lotusposition
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:50 pm

Lotus position,

When I bought my S4 Elan, it was 11years old with 55000 miles on the clock. The bushes were completely shot, as was most of the car. Replacement bushes did not produce a decent result. I had the shaft hard chrome plated and ground to fit the bushes.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stephenvincent » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:31 am

Guys, thank you for all of your responses. I might investigate alternative bushes for the steering column.
Thanks
stephenvincent
New-tral

Total Online: