Need set of bolts to fit CV joint to outboard hub

PostPost by: nico506 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:57 am

Hi
Does anyone know where I can purchase the following bolt set please apart from Spyder Engineering please

6 Shear bolts, plated 7/16″ UNF x 1.8″ long x 1.0″ shank c/w washers, table 3 heavy pattern and Nyloc nuts, T-type.

Any supplier details appreciated

I’m based in UK

Thanks for help
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:53 pm

What you are looking for are AN bolts. These can be ordered by shank length, i.e., the un-threaded portion of the bolt. Most commonly used in motorsports and should be available from someone like Merlin Motorsports, or another motorsports vendor. The advantage of these bolts is that when used in shear, the reduced section of the bolt where the threads start will beyond the shear point between the two flanges. It should be noted that these bolts require a special washer under the bolt head, as rather than a sharp point where the shank becomes the head, this area is concave, thus the special washer. I make a point of using these bolts where the driveshaft attaches to the differential pinion flange in every sporting vehicle I own. One other advantage to using these bolts in this application is they can be obtained with a 12 point head. This means the head size is the same as the bolt diameter, 5/16 inch. A companion nut, commonly called a "Jetnut" is also 5/16 inch. This means the wrenches used are also 5/16. This size wrench easily fits in the reduced area, and with 12 points, a pair of ring wrenches makes removal and installation much less of a problem. And reduces the chances of rounding off the bolt head/nut with an open end wrench.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 am

I bought some from LAS aerospace in the UK
https://www.lasaero.com/products/category/E00SRT1VZ/
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 am

Hi

Most fastener companies will supply HT bolts or cap screws with nylock nuts for the length and spec you require

My sprint has HT capsrcews with nylocks and no problem at all

Just make sure you specify High Tensile they will cope with the power

Regards

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 am

Nico

Just realised you are in Leicestershire as I am too. I use a company call Anellex Bute in whetstone Leicester

Im sure they will help you out

Regards

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: