Request to Borrow a Spare Windscreen UK

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:46 pm

Via the Lotus community I have received the following request for the short term loan of an Elan windscreen. My messenger writes:

"A very good old ''classic car'' friend of mine, Brian Shaw from the Turner and Fairthorpe Club contacted me yesterday to ask if I could assist him; he owns one of the very few early Turner GTs from 1963. He is about to start it's restoration but one of the main problems is a lack of a glass windscreen. The chance of a new screen is effectively nil unless it happens that Jack Turner used a screen from another car? (The fact that the old Triplex / Charles Pugh glass windscreen plant in Kent has moved to Finland has not helped either!)

Apparently another Turner GT restorer has used a screen from a S3 or S4 Elan as it is a relatively close fit. Afterwards the same restorer made the comment that an earlier Elan screen maybe a better fit, especially in the lower corners.

In discussion with Brian I mentioned that a Climax Elite screen may be an even better fit.

Brian's car is in South West Wales at the moment so I said I would ask my local area and Elan friends whether they happened to have access to an old Elite or S1 or S2 glass windscreen. It can be cracked, fire damaged or whatever, the idea is to borrow it/arrange for it to be offered up to the opening in the Turner GT to establish whether one could be used."

Please let me know if you could help. You can contact me via my web site, below, or PM on here.

Thank you. Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:10 pm

I recall an episode of Wheeler Dealers I think it was where they found a windscreen that was close then they had it cut to fit a considerable saving
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:05 pm

I saw that episode of Wheeler Dealers. It was for an old 1970's Saab that had a cracked screen. They found that the central part of an Impala screen had the same curvature and therefore could be cut to fit the Saab.

With the size and curves of the Elan screen, I doubt there is a donor screen with the same curvature that could be cut to fit.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:44 pm

elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: