Starter solenoid, earth point

PostPost by: IainP » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:20 am

Took the Elan to Wales for a road trip the week before last, behaved impeccably until the last day….nothing happening when you turned the ignition key. Warn lights etc all on. Started when solenoid terminal bridged.
When home I tired to start without bridging the terminals…nothing. Took a jump lead and earthed the solenoid body to the engine…..normal service resumed. I can see the earth wire on the solenoid mounting bolt and see it disappear into the engine bay loom, which then goes through the bulkhead behind the glove box. Does anyone know where this earth is actually earthed please? I can then check for continuity and sort.
Iain
IainP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Graham B » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:08 am

Hi IainP,
Not sure which car you have.
On my 1968 S4 Elan wiring diagram, it shows the solenoid earth going to the "under bonnet" earth on the left side which earths headlights, side lights, indicators, relays and horns. Its labelled "bobbin" earth on the wiring diagram.
Is anything else not working? Examine where the wire enters the loom near the solenoid. If all else fails, use a pin, connected to one side of a continuity meter, to pierce the insulation to isolate which section has the break.
Good luck hunting for it.
Graham
Graham B
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: IainP » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:30 am

72 Sprint. Many thanks I’ll search that Bobbin earth out :D
IainP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 pm

On my Sprint these wires run to earth via the body mounting bolt which passes through a bobbin into the left front suspension tower.
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: IainP » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Great I’ll check that out, strange it’s only the solenoid that is having a problem. I’m still unsure if it’s not a solenoid issue, it’s a relatively new Durite version, however I’ve sourced an s/h original as a spare.
IainP
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: