Elan Sprint Coil

PostPost by: Jonny » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:40 pm

Hi everyone,
I have owned 1973 Elan sprint for 8 months, It is in excellent standard condition, and runs very well. The coil, unfortunately is positioned under the master cylinder and is completely inaccessible. It was obviously fitted prior to the engine being installed, there is a new much larger radiator & no room to fit a coil between that and the induction pipe to the airbox - I hope you can visualise that!
I want to fit a new coil in a more convenient position (in case the other fails), as I can barely see the coil, I can't identify it. The sprint has electronic ignition, can you please tell what coil I need?
Many thanks,
John
Jonny
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:07 am

John
I have an Elan Sprint with a full width S3 radiator, plus air ducting. My coil is mounted off the radiator
I produced some brackets that bolt to the top radiator bolts and the coil bolts onto the bracket.
If the car is running and the coil is OK why would you need a new one and not just relocate the old one.
Clive

This subject has been discussed before various times here are a few that might help
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=37667
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SFTsH_hl4
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jonny » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:41 pm

Hi Clive, thank for your reply. I'm sure I can fabricate a bracket, that would be the easy bit, the main problem I have is identifying the coil as it is mounted under the brake master cylinder and right hand delorto, all I can just see is the HT lead sticking out. I can only assume the coil was fitted when the engine was removed in the past. If the coil ever failed, I've had it!
Rgds,
John
Jonny
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:39 am

If you remove the airbox that should give you better access.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jonny » Wed May 01, 2024 7:05 pm

Hi Clive,
Thanks again for your suggestion. The airbox is off, and the coil is mounted directly underneath clutch & master cylinders. At least this gave me a chance to remove the distributor cap for an inspection - I wondered how you got at the points, or in this case electronic ignition!
I think my only option is to fit a new coil and in the event the coil fails, I'll have a new one in place.
Regards,
John
Jonny
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sun May 05, 2024 7:58 am

John
That is the original location bolted to the wing.
Its held on by one screw which you can see looking under drivers front wheel arch.
I have just checked mine and with the airbox in situ I can still get my hand down and feel where the original locating hole is in the engine bay and with my other hand reach under wheel arch and get to hole other side.
From memory it was not a difficult job to relocate and I don't think I even had to extend the wiring when I bolted it to the radiator.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jonny » Sun May 05, 2024 6:17 pm

Hi Clive, many thanks for your reply, I have felt the nut when I've reached behind the drivers wheel. I'll have to remove the wheel and have a closer look. I've looked at countless cars advertised for sale, they usually show the coil mounted on the inner wind against the radiator - far more accessible.
Regards,
John
Jonny
New-tral

Total Online: