Purchasing parts in Europe

PostPost by: Simmie C » Sun May 05, 2024 4:04 pm

Hi All.
I've posted a few times on here and have had some great advice, so here's hoping for some more!
I live in France and have a project S4. I have the body shell, chassis, and several boxes of bits.
My problem is I need a lot more (and I mean a lot). and I would love to be able to buy from someone in France or Europe. The reason being a friend of mine brought over the chassis from the UK to my house and the French tax officers decided (it was second hand and a bit rough) to charge import tax on it charging me 200 Euros. I know they have their job to do etc.. and this is why I would prefer to buy from Europe.
This leads me to my question, is there someone on this group that lives in Europe and has some Elan parts for sale!!!!
I've posted this same message elsewhere so sorry if you are reading this twice
Thanks.
Simon
Simmie C
New-tral

PostPost by: elans3 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:45 pm

If you can't find anyone to buy all you need from Europe, consider a cheap ferry trip to the UK to purchase what you need from one or two of our suppliers. It may be cheaper than paying the import duty, provided you don't get "pulled" going back into France....
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 06, 2024 5:48 am

elans3 wrote:If you can't find anyone to buy all you need from Europe, consider a cheap ferry trip to the UK to purchase what you need from one or two of our suppliers. It may be cheaper than paying the import duty, provided you don't get "pulled" going back into France....

I'd like to know where tje cheap Ferry trips are. Last year it cost about 700 Euros return Brittany Ferries.
Simmie i know someone with lots of parts for an Elan +2 here in France. There are some parts on S4 Elans which are the same. He's french so easy to have a chat with him.
I can give you his details on private message if you like.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: geni » Mon May 06, 2024 5:55 am

I may be able to help you, I live in France,
I still have parts for the Elan, please specify your search.
You can call me or send me a private message
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Mon May 06, 2024 8:02 am

alan.barker wrote:[quote="elans3"
I'd like to know where tje cheap Ferry trips are. Last year it cost about 700 Euros return Brittany Ferries.
Simmie i know someone with lots of parts for an Elan +2 here in France. There are some parts on S4 Elans which are the same. He's french so easy to have a chat with him.
I can give you his details on private message if you like.
Alan

Then you're looking in the wrong place. In the last two weeks I've had emails advertising £139 return for 3 days max crossing to France. They're cheap in the Winter , too.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 06, 2024 9:10 am

Hi elans3,
Ok you're right, i was talking summer + St Malo to Pompey so Cabin each way.
But even with your cheap crossing you need to add 1 night ib Hotel and food. Plus you should delare to Customs at the Port or you can have big problems.
Since the Brexit for expates the procedure is very heavy and expensive.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phil1800 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:48 am

Simon,

as already said, there is unfortunately no one-stop-shop in the EU anymore. You can try Rainer Brammer in Germany at brammer point parts at web point de. His website and Ebay offerings look expensive, but he is always open for reasonable negotiations, especially if you have a large wish list. He is close to me near Duesseldorf, I can assist, if needed. There's an old guy near Nuerburgring on ebay selling out his parts and cars. Prices asked are insane, but again, negotiating a couple of parts may do the trick.

Philipp
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Mon May 06, 2024 1:25 pm

Acquiring parts for a rebuild in Europe has been made seriously complicated by brexit - appellons un chat un chat.. It is an amazing case of national self-harm.

My inner Colin Chapman sees this as an appropriate challenge:

- firstly, it is possible to take many parts through as hand luggage (I do this all the time). I also bring parts back for members of the forum in France as I do a fair number of trips.
- secondly, start looking at what suppliers have in Europe as the brexit problems are only really starting. I have acquired similar parts from Audi, Fiat, Porsche, Renault as well as directly from suppliers such as Cibié, Valeo, SIEM, Bosch etc. I have also acquired many fibreglass parts in France from either other enthusiasts or small firms.
- thirdly, although Customs are complicated in France, I have bought a number of original parts from the USA. In some cases I have sent this through brexitland as although the USA does checks, GB is not yet ready for this type of thing.
-lastly, France does have some excellent small engineering businesses. My local firm CMBI has helped me make parts that I cannot find at a sensible or have made in GB.

With respect to crossing costs, simply travel outside the GB travel times.

I hope this helps!
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 06, 2024 2:15 pm

Yes you pay your money and take your chance.
I picked up CVDS in Sydney then taken as luggage in the plane hold for Christchurch NZ. After as hold luggage for return flight to Paris, no Taxes or Customs paid.
Well pleased.
For cheap Ferry Tickets i imagine they are at Calais, Bologne or Dieppe. No good for me in Morbihan Brittany too far away.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: