Elan S4

PostPost by: miked » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:33 am

Can anyone give me some help on this.

When I restored my car it had a new spyder tank with it. I fitted the fuel gauge sender float with a new gasket and blue hylomar. I was not confident as small brass screws went through the flange and gasket into the tapped holes of the tank. I felt sure that fuel would pass the threads. I tested and fitted it. I never really fill past half way so have perhaps not tested this properly. Recenty I uprated the rear shocks and had the car rear higher than the front for a week or so. Her that must be obeyed complained about a smell of fuel (integral garage) upon putting my hand down near the sender I felt a dribble of fuel.

Any suggestion of best way to seal. Is the sypder tank not same as original.

thanks Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:12 pm

You've got to use a fuel resistant type of sealant. I used Hylomar. Besides the usual Lotus vendors, I found any good aftermarket automotive supply place will carry it. Great stuff.

Greg Z.
'72 sprint
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:38 pm

Mike,

I went through the same ordeal that you did. I used hylomar on the sending unit where the six screws are and it leaked because hylomar can be broken down by gasoline. I then went and bought Permatex instant gas tank repair, item number 12020. It's kind of a two part putty, gray and black. You roll it around in your hand to mix the two parts together and form it into a "worm". Then apply it. I have had no leaks since I did this last year. Good luck!

Frank Howard
Minneapolis
'71 S4 SE
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: