Classic Tour Of The U.s.a.

PostPost by: sk178ta » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:50 pm

Only at the initial talking b*****s stage, me and some pals with old motors (only one other Elan though) have a mind to ship our cars, maybe to, say, Oregon, and drive back to, say, New England, in a couple of years time. It would be a gentle trip taking in things of interest both blokey and girly. We may even go east to west coast and back again.
Have any of you lot who spell tyres with an i and live over that way know of any already done itineries? Does anyone have any likely transportation contacts, inexpensive obviously? or any other useful info.
We want to avoid freeways and boring straight roads and don`t mind deviating off route to visit National Parks, Motor museums, circuits etc.
We are off on the Euroclassic, Chantilly to Florence, on Friday so any info. likely costings, etc. I can obtain by then would be really helpful.
Thanks y`all !!
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:10 pm

Hi Jim !

See you in Chantilly on Sunday morning ! (Or maybe in some low dive on Saturday night !)

We are in FOXIE (my Plus 2), our number is 81, you are 64, right ?

Let's hope the weather improves !

Sean Murray
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus026 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:17 pm

Well, can't say I've really done what you're talking about....but I drive an Elan and live in Oregon; and know most of the roads in these parts, so might be able to give you some ideas! I've always been tempted to just take our Highway 20 all the way across the country someday and explore, it starts in Newport Oregon (an hour away from where I live) and ends in Boston, Mass.; the longest highway in the US - but I've only done the parts of it in Oregon & Idaho! Drop me note if you want some more ideas -
Dave
[email protected]
lotus026
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:57 pm

I have done the trip. depending on time of year you will want to select your east west routes with care . South in the winter, North in the summer etc. I always connect through the big parks as the roads are better ( more scenic) ) and you can camp to keep the cost down.

sample Itin;
Spring early Summer,

Halifax Novascotia
to Montreal
Montreal to Vermont to New hampshire through white mountains
Head east to costal maine, then south along the coast ( use rt 1 )
somewhere around maryland start heading west to the blueridge in Virginia ( skyline drive and blueridge parkway.

Make decision to branch north or south)
tenn, alabama, lousianna, texas, NM, arizona then up coatal west coast.
head north to Iowa, dakotas, montana, idaho washinton etc ,

IF you want to talk details shoot me an email
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: