[SOLD] 1970 Elan +2 Federal (LHD) Houston, TX USA

PostPost by: dafrogtoad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:53 pm

I wish I didn't have to sell this car, but I never had the time and money to fully restore it. I am now about to graduate from college and will not be able to take it with me when I relocate.

As stated, it's a 1970 US export +2. I bought it in 2005, after it had been sitting in the previous owner's garage, untouched, for 25 YEARS. The man had bought it from its original owner in 1978, and then had a stroke the next year and parked it for good. The odometer reads less than 25,000 miles. When I bought the car, the engine had to be completely flushed out and the radiator professionally rebuilt. The heater is still bypassed as it was never gone over. The fuel tank was also flushed out professionally.

The fuel pump and starter have been replaced with modern units, which I ordered from [url]http://www.rdent.com/[/url]. The brake and clutch master cylinders, as well as the front brake calipers have been rebuilt by me, and the rubber brake hoses replaced with steel flex hoses. I never got around to rebuilding the rear calipers. Most importantly, the rear axle, with its long-deteriorated rotoflex couplings, has also been replaced with a modern CV joint conversion kit, also from R.D. Enterprises. The kit for the +2 runs about $1400. The twin Stromberg carbs have been professionally rebuilt by Joe Curto [url]http://www.joecurto.com/[/url].

After the initial work on the engine, I drove the car around the neighborhood on several occasions, but not much else. You all don't need me to describe how this car handles. The car does not currently start, due to electrical woes which I'm sure you also don't need me to describe. I'm sure that some ground (earth) has come loose since the last time I enjoyed it. The electrics were always iffy in this car; for example, the power windows only worked sometimes. Luckily they were rolled up before they stopped last.

The interior is in pretty good condition; the paint/gelcoat is in fair condition, slightly worse around the bonnet and the nose, where the car cover was heavily abused by cats. The body itself is good and solid. The tires were new in 2005, replaced by the previous owner shortly before selling, and probably have less than 100 miles on them with no visible cracking. All the necessary driving lights worked, the last I remember, although the headlights are stuck up due to vacuum gremlins.

I don't even know what a fair price is for this car. It's mechanically in great shape, and is drivable once the electrical demons are slayed. It will need some new paint and possibly gelcoat at some point, but until then it's not embarrassing. If you're interested, make me an offer.

The pictures I have are all a couple years old, but here they are. I will take some new pictures of the exterior as soon as the rain stops.
Attachments
Lotus6.jpg and
Lotus5.jpg and
Lotus4.jpg and
Lotus3.jpg and
Lotus2.jpg and
This rusted-out bumper has been replaced by a newer one that has only a few rust spots.
Lotus1.jpg and
The gelcoat is not this nice anymore; there's some cracking on the bonnet lid and around the headlights. I'll get a new picture soon.
Last edited by dafrogtoad on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
dafrogtoad
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:27 am

Hello, what kind of shape is the frame in? Can you post a couple of pictures of it? The front towers especially...
Thanks, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dafrogtoad » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi, sorry it took me so long to respond. The forum notifications were still set to go to my Dad's email.

The frame is in good shape. This is the best angle I was able to get on the front towers with the car on the ground. Let me know if you'd like to see anything else.

Driver's Side:
[attachment=1]Left1.JPG[/attachment]

Passenger's Side:
[attachment=0]Right1.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
Right1.JPG and
Left1.JPG and
dafrogtoad
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:42 pm

I sent a PM a few days ago.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dafrogtoad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Here's some newer pictures of the car. My apologies for the terrible lighting; the sun was setting as I took these. I don't think my camera's flash does justice to the color of the gelcoat. It's not as badly faded as it looks in these pictures.
Attachments
100_3211.JPG and
100_3210.JPG and
100_3209.JPG and
100_3205.JPG and
100_3204.JPG and
dafrogtoad
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm

I have sent PM and Email.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dafrogtoad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 pm

This car is still available. If anyone would like additional pictures, just let me know.
dafrogtoad
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanchap » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 am

Hello Houston, did you ever sell the car?
elanchap
New-tral

PostPost by: dafrogtoad » Mon May 30, 2011 5:06 pm

No, I have not sold it yet.
dafrogtoad
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanchap » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello, I sent you a PM.

Thanks, Don
elanchap
New-tral