1970 Plus 2

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:27 pm

1970 Lotus Elan Plus 2 S
Chassis Number 7002040010N

This Elan Plus 2 is an original unrestored car with all the pluses and minuses that entails. The car was modified sometime in the early 1970?s with a Weber head, which it still carries, instead of the normal Stromberg head. I had the brake boosters removed and changed to a smaller master cylinder at the time the brakes were rebuilt in 2006. The car runs and drives well. I would not hesitate to drive it across the country, but then I will drive most anything across the country. At our LOCO track day in September 2010 my son was lapping right with an Esprit Turbo for a dozen or more laps. It is a sweet driving car with plenty of zip to keep up with modern sports cars on winding mountain highways and a perfect car for two to getaway to the hills in comfort and style. From Moab, Utah, May 2007, it made 408 miles before refilling with 10.7 gallons.

This car is Bahama Yellow, a particularly ?70?s color that also appeared on Porsches and MG?s of that era. The exterior looks OK from 20 feet but has the normal checking and crazing of a 40 year old fiberglass car. The interior is excellent except for the dash which needs refinishing. Every gauge works on the car and the switches and other electrics work though the map light does not have the internals. The rear window defrosting strips are broken. The door jamb lights stay on all the time and I have not sorted that. I simply disconnect the battery when it is parked longer than overnight. The window motors work with help but need cleaning to operate as designed.

Mechanically the car is solid with relatively new doughnuts (plus I have a spare set to go with the car) and new motor mounts. It leaks oil from the front main seal and front cover but I have just lived with it since I?ve had the car. It will need attention at some time. The frame has surface rust but seems solid. The suspension is right and the shocks are good. The lights work with the vacuum system but drift up when the car is driven vigorously, or after about five minutes when parked, so there is a slow vacuum leak. As I am a driver rather than a mechanic I have simply lived with it.

This is a solid driver that would do with a rolling restoration if so desired or simply used as I have for fun driving and trips with a comfortable and reliable car.

I have about $10,000 in this car and would like to get about $7,500 for it. I am selling it because I have acquired another car and it just doesn?t get driven enough anymore. If I don?t get a near offer I will keep it as I do enjoy it when I drive it.

Contact me directly at ross at homebuildercoach dot com for more photos or to get my phone number for a more detailed discussion of the car.
Attachments
Fall Color Plus 2 lowres.jpg and
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:33 am

Car is SOLD. Thanks to all who inquired.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 am

Wow, just 3 days to sell, congratulations!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: