'67 S3 coupe project - NJ USA

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 pm

"Poor-man's Lotus Elite"
1967 Lotus Elan S3 Coupe (pre-airflow) Type 36 Has tranny only, no engine, no differential, 27K miles, in storage since early '70s, wheel arches trimmed back for larger tire size, Nader hub nuts, rare front marker lights, missing passenger seat and gas tank. Has small racing steering wheel, glass all good, otherwise complete. Clear open title, worthy restoration project or vintage race car candidate.
60+ pictures here:
http://www.taylormadeclassiccars.com/el ... lides.html
asking $12,500 or serious offer
Attachments
exterior-010.jpg and
Last edited by tedtaylor on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Some one will snap this up. Great door fit!
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:08 am

DON'T see the value at the asking price of $14,500.00 USD.

I WON'T pay more than $10,000.00 USD...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tvr78 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:40 am

Needs body, engine, chassis, diff, interior and more.what's left?
tvr78
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:41 pm

rare front marker lights,

???
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:59 pm

:D
Last edited by tedtaylor on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 pm

True!...but then you have to start in the "Relative Ball Park" in my opinion to initially attract potential buyers, for myself unreasonable asking prices are a turn off...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:18 pm

lotus looker wrote:DON'T see the value at the asking price of $14,500.00 USD.

I WON'T pay more than $10,000.00 USD...Mark

Maybe that's why you are a "Lotus looker" & not a Lotus Driver :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Hello Phil; Have to change my username now from "lotus looker" to ..."Lotus Owner"!!!.

Bought a 1972 Lotus Elan Plus 2 ( Big Valve Engine) project from a member on this website a couple of years back :D :D :D ...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:14 am

Such a shame! A very coveted model, but that will require a tremendous amount of bodywork to repair those fenders. And it won't be cheap to come up with a Weber Twin Cam. And seats and fuel tank are not chump change anymore either. But if it was mine, I'd be asking the same price. if you have those parts laying around and you love doing body work, this would make a great project. i wonder what happened to all the missing parts?

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:50 am

Hopefully somebody takes her on, in the UK this would be advertised at a similar figure, yet in ?s!
(especially via traders as, even with the parts missing, they are being advertised at crazy prices)
The engine would be the most expensive part to acquire, diffs are (comparatively) cheap and trim, new or used, is readily available but very expensive.
Hopefully this Elan will be found by someone with the skills to repair & refurbish the body/chassis and the funds to buy a twin cam/diff etc - or by someone with very deep pockets who is prepared to have it restored professionally.
Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:12 am

S3FHC wrote:Hopefully somebody takes her on, in the UK this would be advertised at a similar figure, yet in ?s!
(especially via traders as, even with the parts missing, they are being advertised at crazy prices)
The engine would be the most expensive part to acquire, diffs are (comparatively) cheap and trim, new or used, is readily available but very expensive.
Hopefully this Elan will be found by someone with the skills to repair & refurbish the body/chassis and the funds to buy a twin cam/diff etc - or by someone with very deep pockets who is prepared to have it restored professionally.
Mark.

People with "Deep Pockets" DON'T throw money on a car that WON'T return their investment!!! & if they do...Their "Deep Pockets" soon become shallow bird baths!!!

This example is a money PIT!!!

Time tested adage..."Buy the BEST example you can Find!!!"
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:02 am

The adage "buy the best example you can find" is fine, assuming you can afford to buy the best example.

I'd say the adage "buy the best you can afford" is more accurate, given the rising prices at the moment.

Not every potential Elan owner has the luxury of being able to pick the very best and may have to buy whatever their budget permits, then renovate the car as and when they can afford the time & money.

Cars are continually being dragged from garages ("barn finds") after years of neglect, then restored at great expense, with little consideration to their "investment" accepting that the costs will exceed the end value.

It's a good thing that there are these enthusiasts who are prepared to restore cars despite the end value NOT covering the expense invested in it, otherwise these cars would remain neglected or lost forever.

Many enthusiasts will restore a car with the intention of keeping it and, if they are lucky, perhaps see its value creep up over time. If they are very fortunate, they may have chosen a particular marque or model of vehicle that is worth more that the costs of its restoration once completed.

No dealer in his right mind would do what an enthusiast would as they would go bust unless they've either:
a) been given the car b) bodge the work required c) found something very sought-after and valuable.

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:25 am

In the UK, Spyder would use it for a Zetec conversion :-)
http://www.spydercars.co.uk/lotus-elan-2-zetec-conversion-products/

That would take care of the hard to find parts...

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:59 am

pereirac wrote:That would take care of the hard to find parts...

the parts list amounts to 8500 quids plus tax and freight, then you still need to get a zetec

I guess the good side is that you didn't have to spend time sourcing a single Lotus part for that... or did I miss something?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: