S3 SE at auction

PostPost by: Thornts » Fri May 06, 2016 5:33 am

Morning all.

Did people see this:

http://www.berlinetta-auctions.co.uk/ca ... ead-coupe/

I'll declare an interest - before people start laying into it! Berlinetta is me and I'd be delighted to get any feedback from people as to the concept - very different to other auctions I think (hope!) you would agree. Also welcome any thoughts re the car too.

Happy to make the appropriate contribution to Elan.net for the publicity.

Cheers
Rob
S3 SE FHC
S2 7
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri May 06, 2016 7:55 am

That looks like a lovely usable car, Rob, and a superb write-up and provenance.

The '65 Alfa Giulia, ex South Africa, is my pick of the crop! That looks gorgeous, and coming from a dry climate, must be one of the most original RHD shells left on any Giulia! The mods sound right to me as well....you wouldn't want a slow one.

Wish I could be at the auction Rob, but sadly tied up this weekend with other car stuff. Good luck and I hope the event goes really well.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 am

Good detailed write up on both The Elan and the Elan for auction.

Interestingly most of the other Elans around that VIN came off the production line in October 1967, whereas this one and several others in the unit number area rolled off in March/April 1968.

I might suggest at least one generic photo of the interior and one of the engine amongst the group on the page, as opposed to in the stream available on the main photo.

Good luck with Belinetta!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Fri May 06, 2016 8:22 am

Good extensive description, a difference to the "this was a great car from genius Chapman. This one of them" description of other auction sites.
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Fri May 06, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks chaps. Yes Tim, according to Andy Graham the car was 'built' around October '67 but not invoiced until 20th March '68 (he described is as 'on loan to London Sports Car Centre, Edgware') and that it probably didn't include the engine. I think often the procedure was to send a car out for 'dealer stock' without its engine (probably quite a significant slug of the cars value to Lotus in those days) and then send and engine once the car was sold for home assembly. Andy says the engine in this car has a number quite bit higher than others built and sold at around this time as it sat around for quite a while before it made it to a dealer - and even then it looks like they had it on a loan basis. With the S4 just around the corner it must have been quite hard to shift.
I didn't manage to prove it was an IWR tuned car unfortunately!
Cheers
Rob
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: