Zetec powered Plus 2 for sale

PostPost by: PeterK » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Back on the market again after some time wasting from the USA. Open to offers ......

I mentioned before how I get more enjoyment through tinkering than actually getting the time to drive. So, now that my new project is arriving, I need the space (& the money will be useful too :lol: ), and it's finally time for someone else to get a chance to enjoy my Plus 2.

Since I restored my box of bits Plus 2, I've probably only driven 300 miles during the last year. Anyway, I've just resprayed it again (wasn't happy with my previous paint finish so as I now have a garage, I stripped it all off and did it again, as you do).

unadjustednonraw_thumb_3a0.jpg and

unadjustednonraw_thumb_39f.jpg and

img_8695.jpg and
My arty shot

img_8188.jpg and
Interior going in, although door cards not fitted when this was taken

Shiny stuff, badges and side trims ready and waiting in the garage, and should be all back together within the next two weeks. Any interested / prospective purchaser is welcome to come and help reassemble it :lol:

It's on a G reg plate, but it's a late model Plus 2, with the 8 dial dash containing the fuse box, not ash tray. It's fully rebuild, with all important wear items (suspension, bearings, seals, etc) replaced with new less than 1000 miles ago. Resprayed cellulose Porsche Guards Red with original oatmeal interior. Alarmed with central door locking. Fitted with 2.0 Silvertop Zetec, rolling road graphs show over 150bhp at the wheels, through a 2000E gearbox. MOT'ed to the end of the month, but I'll put a new ticket on it before sale. Historic car tax (no cost).

Photo documentation of rebuild, together with full list of all non-original components used (with source for any service replacements) available.

Open to offers as new project arriving.

For those who like the detail, here is more...

Resprayed Porsche Guards Red (cellulose), Oatmeal interior, new dash, headlining, carpets and underfelt. Door cards rebuilt using varnished marine ply.
Early but unused Spyder chassis, modified to take Zetec
2.0 Silvertop Zetec, with over 150bhp at the wheels (rolling road graphs to document), with new Emerald ECU, Jenvey TBs, Pipercross air-filters & Spyder exhaust manifold / twin silencer exhaust system
Standard 2000E gearbox (new seals, bearings and gaskets), and Lotus diff (with new seals and output bearings), driving through new Sue Miller / Kelvedon CV shafts
Toyota electric headlight lift
Rear suspension features new adjustable spring height Spyder 'Chapman' struts, narrow springs (fit any tyres you want) and Spyder adjustable lower wishbones
Front suspension features new TT adjustable spring / dampers, with Spyder adjustable & rose jointed wishbones
Car completely rewired as per more modern machinery, such as 1 fuse for n/s side lights and another for o/s sidelights, etc) with 46 fuses and 14 relays. Easy to understand modern style (easy to follow) colour coded wiring diagrams, plus fuse box layout showing circuit protected, cable colour & duty, and rating for each fuse and relay.
Most nuts & bolts, and all wheel bearings, brake components, seals, etc replaced with new
New master brake cylinder and front callipers.
Rebuilt clutch master cylinder, new slave cylinder, pressure and driven plates, mated to 1.8 Zetec flywheel (lighter than 2 litre)
Last edited by PeterK on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:28 am, edited 10 times in total.
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi Peter,

Just wanted to say good luck with the sale.

I know we discussed values on a previous thread but just to say that I had to get mine re-valued for the insurance agreed value this year and it was valued at ?27'000.

I know our cars have some differences but ?16k seems way too low.

Make sure you advertise in all the right places and don't sell yourself short, the values have risen a fair chunk in these last few years.

All the best

Gavin
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:13 am

Thanks Gavin
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:39 pm

With thanks to Rob (runkthepunk) who came and helped with the lights, grill & bumper, the car is now ready :D

img_0279.jpg and

img_0280.jpg and

All shiny, except the mucky finger prints from our graft. It was great to get out in her today for the first run in what seems like ages. Have to clean it again now !

Test next week, and will then have 13 months MOT
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: blueplastic72 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:42 pm

A really beautiful job. Looks to be a true example of painstaking attention to detail that you would not get from even the best professionals (would cost too much any way). Probably not one for the purist, however, I suspect it drives and works so much better than the original (hush my mouth!). If I had the money your arm would already be severed from your body. I still long for the +2 I had at 19 and foolishly sold for a pittance.
I hope it goes to a deserving home and not just a dealer out to make the easy dollars.
Great work, you must be proud.
blueplastic72
New-tral

PostPost by: PeterK » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks for that :-)

Need to sell it quickly, as I keep driving it then having to clean it again :lol:
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: blueplastic72 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Absolutely,
Everything must be just so, otherwise the consequences don't bear thinking about... :lol:
Attachments
the-law-of-straightness-2.jpg
the-law-of-straightness-2.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
blueplastic72
New-tral

PostPost by: mikebailey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi Pete,

Is the car still for sale? If so, where can it be seen? Thanks,

Mike
mikebailey
New-tral

PostPost by: PeterK » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi Mike - PM sent
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:51 pm

I like unbadged cars so the badges remain in the garage (and will go with the car).

What's the collective view on the chrome sill strips (along the side of the car, under the doors). Should I fit them or leave them off ?
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:20 am

Back on the market again after some time wasters in the USA :-(. Open to offers .....
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:37 pm

.... and I can confirm that Pete has done a great job on the car, and that it's looking lovely and running fine!
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:43 pm

looks like a great car. with regards to the sill strips I would not fit these, there I prefer the clean uncluttered lines of the plus 2.

But that is just my opinion, nothing more nothing less.

Good luck with the sale, cheers Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks for the input - I agree about the sill strips.
I've fitted the L O T U S letters onto the boot and the round Lotus badge on the front, but left the side badges and sill strips off for now.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andrew Wells » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi Peter,

I was wondering if you Zetec Elan was still for sale as I am very interested in it.

Best regards

Andrew
Andrew Wells
New-tral

Next

Total Online: