1972 Lotus Elan Plus 2 S Chassis Number 7111I 70232N

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:14 pm

plus-2-002.jpg and
This Elan Plus 2 is an original unrestored car with all the pluses and minuses that entails. I had the brake boosters removed due to sticking. The brakes work well and can be easily modulated. The car runs and drives well. I would not hesitate to drive it across the country, but then I will drive most anything across the country as I proved by driving this one home. All the issues I reported on that drive have been sorted and solved. On our LOCO trip in May I stayed right with an Evora as we went over 11, 669 foot Guanella Pass. It?s a sweet driving car with plenty of zip to keep up with modern sports cars on winding mountain highways and a perfect car for two to get away in comfort and style.

This car is Carnival Red with a silver top. The exterior looks OK from 20 feet (in fact I get lots of thumbs up) but falls down as you get closer as it has extensive checking, chips and crazing of a 40+ year old fiberglass car. The interior is pretty good except for the dash which needs refinishing. Every gauge works on the car and the switches and other electrics work even the map light. The rear window defrosting strips are broken. The door jamb lights even work which is really unusual. The window motors even work well. The boot is missing its floor though I have what I believe is the correct floor support and the plywood cut to fit. I also have four brand Lotus wheels that need the center rings to use.

Mechanically the car is solid with constant velocity joints instead of doughnuts and new springs and shocks. I put new Falken Sincera 175/70 tires on in March. It drives really nicely. It leaks oil from the front main seal and front cover but I have just lived with it since I?ve had the car. It will need attention at some time. The frame has surface rust but seems solid. The suspension is right and the shocks are good. The lights work with the vacuum system but drift up when the car is driven uphill vigorously, or after about 90 minutes when parked, so there is a very slow vacuum leak. As I am a driver rather than a mechanic I have simply lived with it.

This is a solid driver that would do with a rolling restoration if so desired or simply used as I have for fun driving and trips with a comfortable and reliable car.

I have about $18,500 in this car and would like to get at least $16,000 for it. I am selling it because I have committed to acquire another Plus 2 with a Zetec and 5 speed so I don?t need two of them. If I don?t get a near offer I will keep it as I do enjoy it when I drive it here in Colorado.

Contact me directly at ross at homebuildercoach dot com for more photos or call me at (3O3) 829-6O4l for a more detailed discussion of the car.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Any interest in this car here?? If not it will be eBay or BaT or something. This is a really nice driver, it is all there, all original except for C/V joints and worth restoring someday after driving the whee out of it in the meantime. I have fixed everything that was on my list from the trip home and I will happily deliver it anywhere in the US for a return flight ticket. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:Any interest in this car here?? If not it will be eBay or BaT or something. This is a really nice driver, it is all there, all original except for C/V joints and worth restoring someday after driving the whee out of it in the meantime. I have fixed everything that was on my list from the trip home and I will happily deliver it anywhere in the US for a return flight ticket. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

Ross, finally got back in using another 'alias' - this forum is a bit like the marque it represents, needs TLC to get it running properly.

PM me if this car is still available and if you come across another Plus 2 which, like getting access to this site, needs work (with/without drivetrain) please let me know.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:23 pm

he sold it on BaT as I recall...
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:39 pm

tedtaylor wrote:he sold it on BaT as I recall...

I thought that was the case Ted, just trying to confirm and to let Ross know I finally managed the secret handshake to get back in here.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Slowtus...Ted is right I sold it but can recommend the two on eBay right now as alternatives. The green one is about equal to the one I sold with better cosmetics and the blue/silver one looks much better. Go for it you won't regret it.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 am

Ross, i contacted both sellers on these cars but got nothing back so I went and bought something else, one of those silly VTEC Mini things...should see it arrive in a couple of weeks.

Still like the blue Plus 2 though.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: