S3-4 (?) for sale

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:03 pm

A friend of mine has a pal who has an Elan for sale. I've been to see it and it is a bit of a puzzle. It was first registered in May 1968. It has a S3 dash with toggle switches, but S4 rear lights. It may be a changeover model as the date is about right for the end of the S3 and the beginning of the S4 production. It has slightly flared arches which look professionally done and wide wheels (175 tyres). It hasn't been on the road for more than 30 years and despite my pictures in poor condition. Chassis as far as I could see is probably original and is very rusted so I expect it needs changing. Engine looks very poor, but turns over by hand ok. carbs probably need v comprehensive re-furbishment or replace. Interior poor. Dash needs refurb, central GRP tunnel top split, seats poor. Carpets?... well!!
I've taken some photos, but completely forgot to take some of engine compartment or interior :roll:
img_0419.jpg and

img_0420.jpg and

img_0421.jpg and

I forgot to ask for the chassis/body number but he is forwarding it to me.
Anyone interested the vendors number is 07488469763
Car is located just south of Exeter, Devon, England
Car is NTDWM but I can try and answer simple questions, but honestly I don't know much more.

The vendor wants ?12500 for it. It's too much for me to take on but I said I would post it on here for him to see if there was any interest
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:35 pm

That looks like it's straight out of the 70s, Geoff. Love it.

Mandatory JPS black, just needs the gold stripes, and I do hope that the new lucky buyer will keep the big arches, but I somehow doubt it.

Love the roof aerial too!!

I guess the car is on webers despite the bonnet bump? There was a time when you could only get the S4 rear end, and if you bumped your S3, then that's what you got. It could be why the car got flairs instead of trying to make S4 arches into S3 ones.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Mark, I don't think the car was originally black, I might be wrong, but the paint job does not look original. Indeed it is on Webers. I did look for any signs that a new rear end might have been been grafted on, but there was no sign of a join. :D As it is I think it might take a lot of dosh to get it into a nice condition unless there were some pleasant surprises with the chassis and engine.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:25 pm

I'm sure it wasn't black originally Geoff, but a lot of Elans were re-painted black when the JPS cars were current.

I'm sure it will need everything doing, but you've shown that doesn't have to break th bank if doing it all yourself. A really interesting project.

Internal photos will show if it has S3 or S4 door frames and internal handles. But you're right, it could be a transition car of course.
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: