68 Elan for sale

PostPost by: paulpetrun » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi all, looking to sell my 68' Elan so I can have the time/money/space to finish restoring my 66' Elan. I have owned the 68' for about five years. In that time I have had the carbs professionally rebuilt, rewired the car completely with a painless harness and fuse block, converted to a negative ground with a mini alternator, and a pertronix distributor, added a Griffin aluminum radiator and electric cooling fan, running Evans waterless coolant (not sure if it makes any difference at all), along with rebuilding the brake calipers and adding stainless braided lines. There is a bunch more smaller items but those are the highlights. Car will come with all of the stock parts I removed. The car runs, drives, and presents well. The body has an older respray and looks good from a few feet away. The paint is ok but there are some scratches, nicks, scuffs, and one chip/crack where some thing looks to have hit or been dropped on the left rear fender. There is also a crack on the bottom of the nose under the radiator inlet where it looks like someone got a bit to close to a parking curb. The frame is in good shape and still has a fair bit of the red oxide colored paint on it. The interior is nice with only one small stitch seem pulled at the top of the passenger seat. The dash pad, carpet, drivers seat, and door cards are very nice. I have had some discussion with some friends at the LOG this year, that my car seems to be an SS. It has Webbers, an SU bonnet, rocker switches, folding door pulls and a few other cues that indicate it may be. It does not have the SS badges. I don't have much computer time so its best to call or text me at 412-974-5695. Car is located in Pittsburgh, Pa. I'm asking $26k.
Thanks very much
Paul
Attachments
68elan3.jpg and
68elan1.jpg and
paulpetrun
New-tral

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 pm

That's a very attractive car at a very attractive price! :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:21 pm

"SU bonnet"? is there such a thing? I thought it was bump or no bump bonnet (one for Strombergs = bump, one for Webers = no bump). which is it?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi Ted, looking at the photos will tell you that it is a Stromberg bulge. :)
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paulpetrun » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 am

Hi Ted, yes stromberg buldge, not su, sorry.
paulpetrun
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:54 am

I have seen SU equipped Lotus twin cam engines, thus my question...
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 am

I too have seen SU equipped twin cams. I have no wish to start a debate but it's not a happy marriage in my opinion.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: