Earliest registered Lotus-bodied S1 for sale

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Ahead of advertising this more widely, I am going to be selling my S1.

It is believed (via Tim's advice) to be the earliest registered S1 with body built by Lotus, after they switched from Bourne.

It had a replacement chassis via Peter Day a few years ago, has its original interior and engine bay. Dash is black (one of only a handful as factory requests) and it has a 26R style steering wheel, both requested by the first owner and factory fitted (I have a letter from the first owner).

It had a ?7k mechanical refresh at Paul Matty 18 months ago - fast road spec driveshafts and braking, fitting of 150bhp Craig Beck twin cam, TTR exhaust and also a rebuilt semi-close ratio gearbox. It comes with a new hood and a set of original steel wheels (not the alloys and hard top as in the photos).

Paint is scruffy - yellow over the original red but lots of admirers love the patina.

It has been fantastic over the last 2 seasons in a road going hill climb series, goes fantastically and sounds awesome.

Not cheap but is is special - open to sensible offers and happy to sell without the engine if that suits.

Enquiries welcomed and can share full spec and photos.

David
Attachments
20180522-shelsley-driver-school-53_preview.jpeg and
Last edited by dunclentdr1 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Are you going to share the sort of money you?re looking for or is that for serious enquirers only?

Good luck with it!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi Steve - thanks - for serious enquirers only!!!

I would like it to go to someone on the forum who will appreciate it for what it is rather than try and make a splash on one of the for sale sites!!!

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi David, I would love to see more pictures, especially of the dash and engine compartment please. Thank you, Andrew
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Andrew

Here are some pictures - not great ones but they give some idea!

Steering wheel - this has just been recovered and is original to the car.

Engine bay - excuse the rubber pipe which runs into an oil catch tank and the second big spring on the carbs - these are just for hill climbs and come off!!

Interior - not great shots - all original flooring, seat covers and black dash (the red steering wheel was just in whilst the original was being recovered - all of the door mouldings, handles etc are black too, as supplied.

I am hoping whoever may bu it keep all of the interior original.

BTW it also has original fuel tank plus stickers.

David
Attachments
img_3516.jpg and
img_3514.jpg and
img_3517.jpg and
img_3518.jpg and
img_3519.jpg and
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 pm

David, I notice that the Gel coat under the hood (bonnet) appears to be Grey?

I wonder if that was an early continuation of the Bourne practice?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Phil

Yes - it is also on the underside of the boot too and inner wheel arches in the boot - I originally bought it thinking it may be a very late Bourne car - it is 26/0407 but Tim reliably informs me it is Lotus bodied, unit 3016 - it still has the original dymo tape proudly on display - either way a very interesting car for those into early ones.

It was a single owner from new until 2015 who has written a letter confirming interior and steering wheel are original.

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi David,
many thanks for posting the pictures. This is a very interesting car. I have heard many folks tell me of seeing black dash cars in period but I have never come across one before. You mention the new engine. Based on the head casting webs, carbs and later valve cover, is it safe to assume that the complete engine now in the car is not the original? Do you still have the original engine block and head for the car?
Cheers, Andrew
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the post - the engine is definitely not the original one! Some years ago the car ran with a Crossflow engine - I bought the car via Ricketts Racing and Barry Davidson, they supplied the Craig Beck engine (which by the way is fantastic) which ideally I'd like to keep and let someone fit an engine to the S1 with earlier head.

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm

I only recently came up to speed on all the casting variations, so now I need to go through my stock and see if any of my heads are early enough for this car. I have a number of heads and blocks from S2 cars but I need to look if any of my spares are earlier castings. I have to admit this car fascinates me and I would be happy to become its conservator if the logistics of shipping it to Canada were not so difficult.
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Look for the date code stamped underneath the die-cast heads; early ones do turn up in unexpected places.

My Stromberg S4 was converted to Weber head in 1971. I could see is was a die-cast head from the half-moon projections in the plug wells, but I was surprised to see just how early in was...from April 1963.

I was going to move it on and fit a period correct sand cast head, but now I figure that as it's been on the car for 47 years it's part of the history of the car. And it's polished and ported with big valves and is in perfect condition!

They do turn up, and if you want a really good one, contact Nick Stagg who usually has a few reconditioned ones in stock.

Mark
Attachments
lp189-2.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Soonteo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Dear Seller, I note that you?ve a spare steering wheel & wonder if this could be purchased. I?ve an Elan S4 & if this fits, would be interested.

Best regards
Tony
Soonteo
New-tral

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi Tony

Thanks for the message - the red wheel is not currently on the car and no plans to sell - it is a standard Tony Thompson 26r style wheel, available via the TTR website.

Thanks

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 pm

The car may be available for purchase without engine and ancillaries so you can add engine of choice - please contact me if interested.

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:48 am

Just to let everyone know, the S1 is still for sale - my attempts at selling have been very half hearted so far (as I'd like to keep it) but something else has come up...

Please let me know if interested - can be sold with or without the 150bhp Craig Beck engine.

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: