Lotus Elan

Elan +2 project on eBay

PostPost by: SGO 2F » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Interesting project.

eBay item number: 233101218277

Not mine nor any way connected to the seller.

Richard
Richard Shetler
1967 Lotus Elan +2 (050/0164)
1972 Lotus Elan +2S/130 (0239N)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
SGO 2F
New-tral

PostPost by: Twored » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:10 am

This may be one Car of a six car collection by an islander with a body shop. If so, he bought it complete from a retired service man in Fla.
Twored
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Twored wrote:This may be one Car of a six car collection by an islander with a body shop. If so, he bought it complete from a retired service man in Fla.

more on that story please!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SGO 2F » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:16 pm

SOLD today: $10,200.00 26 Jan 2019 at 8:58:29AM PST
Richard Shetler
1967 Lotus Elan +2 (050/0164)
1972 Lotus Elan +2S/130 (0239N)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
SGO 2F
New-tral

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:45 am

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum. My name is Mike G. and I am looking forward to discussing this car with you.
I am the guy that bought it. It is quite a project but the body, paint and frame are all in good shape. The interior is gone but completely in boxes and the seats are nice. The dash has been refinished and is very nice. I have new headliner material, new dash cap/crash pad. It does need a lot( brake booster, original steering wheel have gone missing). I am not even sure where to start. The seller provided many records and reference books.

So I'm now starting at square one. First question is an obvious one- What is the best source for parts, wiring diagrams and resources. Just getting started on this, but I think it should be a fun project. I finished up my sunbeam alpine and Opel Gt, and am looking forward to the Lotus experience.

Thanks for your insight, and suggestions. I hope this all goes well.. fingers crossed.
mjbeanie
New-tral

PostPost by: SENC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:38 pm

Welcome Mike, you've joined a great forum with lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks - they've certainly helped me tremendously.

RD Enterprises in PA (rdent.com) and Dave Bean in CA are the primary suppliers in the states. Both have very knowledgeable and helpful people. Ray (owner) and George at RD have been go-tos for me. The rdent.com website is also very useful as it includes a digital parts manual (there is also one in this forum's wiki).

Sue Miller at Mick Miller Lotus, Paul Matty Lotus, SJSportscars, Kelvedon, and Tony Thompson Racing are the other primary vendors of Lotus parts, all on the other side of the pond. Sue is a favorite, and there are helpful folks at each. SJS has the most useable website in my opinion and I'm always amazed at the speed of their overseas shipping. Most parts can be found somewhere amongst these 7 vendors.

If you don't have a Lotus Elan +2 Workshop Manual, you need to start there. Lotus still publish and sell a looseleaf version for the Elan, I'd guess for the +2, too. If not, ask here and search ebay. Brian Buckland's book is hugely valuable for the Elan and given all of the overlaps I'd think for the +2. Search these forums (using google and "site:lotuselan.net" as part of the search and you'll find witing diagrams and help on nearly any topic you can think of. Then post pictures and questions as you get rolling.
Henry
69 S4
SENC
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 pm

PICTURES PLEASE!!!! That Ebay link is no longer up.
congrats & welcome.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi Henry and thanks very much for the information. It really helps a lot.
Hi Ted, I uploaded some pix. I think I will start with the dash wiring, its a mess.
Some of it is labeled but no longer legible. I don't really know how to even route the wires.
Decoding this car will be challenging...In any case, I have the +2 looseleaf binder from lotus, and will try to find an exploded view wiring diagram next.. For now, all I have done is move the car from Pensacola to Parkland, Florida.
So I guess that is something.. Pictures attached (while I remain in restoration shock..)

Haven't even confirmed if this is a five speed or not..Built 08/71.
Attachments
ebay1.jpg and
Lotus-some assembly required
ebay4.jpg and
rear view
img_1523.jpg and
Dumb question: Is this the 130/5
img_1528.jpg and
The ugly
img_1525.jpg and
The good
img_1529.jpg and
The Bad
img_1530.jpg and
powerplant-batteries not included
img_1532.jpg and
lots of airflow, need windshield installed,-pain in the glass
img_1498.jpg and
"Lotus on the road"-sort of..
Last edited by mjbeanie on Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjbeanie
New-tral

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find it very helpful with what lies ahead.

Great find for that price. It looks like the most expensive work is behind you. Some folks have almost that much in paint and body work.

A considerable number of the parts used in building Lotus cars came from other cars of the period. Golden Gate Lotus Club has posted a source chart for some of them. I've found it helpful. http://gglotus.org/ggpart/elan+2xref.htm
Bud
1970 +2S Fed
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams
Bud English
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:15 pm

Welcome!

There are no dumb questions. God knows I've asked my fair share!

Your car looks like an S130 (not 5 speed, but try the gearbox to see if it has a 5th gear anyway).

If it's not 5 speed, you will enjoy the better gear change offered by the 4 speed box. "Rifle action" is the best comment I have heard that describes it.

Good luck with your restoration / build. Paint looks lovely!

JonB
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Twored » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:31 am

Sorry, I'm just checking back in to the site...
I had been in touch with the owner of this plus 2 project for a bit. What else can I tell you? I recall he had an Elan prior to this one. A few months ago he was preparing to move to the Washington state region by selling off most of his personal car projects. The Sunbeam was interesting. The BGT had been in about the same state of restoration as the +2. As a paint and body man I would guess that he approached all of his projects similarly by buying a running car, disassembling it, paint and body, then a reassemble. He had a thing for British cars. The Lotus had been painted around 3 years prior and was awaiting the last stages. He bought the car from a military retiree who would drive the car around the block now and then. It was a runner prior to the start of the restoration.
I'm afraid I have seen a number of +2's for sale in this project stage which is always hard for me to gauge.
That's about all I can remember at the moment.

MikeG - Good luck! Richard at Sportscar World in Dallas can probably help you with parts.

Collier
Twored
New-tral

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 am

Thanks very much for all the insight. I've completed the first step in the restoration, figuring out what car I just bought. It was called a 1972 model in the auction, but the VIN says other wise. (car built August 71)

Serial number : 7108120179N
Engine: U/24911

U Big Valve Stromberg, Federal - Plus 2S 1971

Plus 2S 130
Type 50 +2 130

71.01...0001 on
2 large gauges - Speedometer, Tachometer
6 small gauges - Oil, Water temp, Battery Condition, Temp, Fuel, Clock
3 warning lights in center of dash (Hazard, Park/Brake Fail, Rear Screen)
Luxury interior including revised seats and centre console
Big Valve engine
Fog/Driving lamps below the bumper

--Seems like it is now confirmed as a four speed gearbox. Thanks all. I will post a new thread, once I get started on the restoration. Starting with the fascia wiring harness replacement....If anyone has some behind the dash photos showing wiring and routing I would love to see them..Thanks again everyone.
mjbeanie
New-tral

PostPost by: Rich135 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 am

Your car sounds exactly the same as mine which is a +2S130, same dials, gauges, fogs, 4 speed, interior etc. Mine was born 1 March 1970.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the wiring behind the dash, but if I can every help with more accessible photo's, please do let me know! Mine is a working, original car.

All the very best,

Rich
Rich135
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:59 am

Mike,

You will also find Ken Gray at Dave Bean Engineering (209) 754-5802 a great source and always willing to assist. He has been very helpful to me over my 20 years of owning a '71 Plus 2 built in March of that year.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:07 am

Thanks very much Lee,
Would love to see some pix of your Plus 2. Maybe you could email a few. It would be very motivational to see finished product. I've got so a lot of work ahead of me. Curious how many brake boosters do you have.
Did they start with two units in 1972 production. I have none in my car, -its been removed. ugh
mjbeanie
New-tral

Next

Total Online: