Lotus ElanPlus2 Five speed, Big valve, sprint cams

PostPost by: Alan D. » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:47 am

Lotus Elan Plus 2, Big valve head, sprint cams and Five speed gearbox. Chassis number 50/813
It is with great reluctance that I?ve decided to sell my Plus 2. I purchased the car from John Clegg in January 2018 but, most of the time it has been in one of my garages. I have probably only done about a 1000 miles in the car. The truth is I have too many projects, I have nine other classic/kit cars. I will probably have to live till I?m 150 years old to finish all the projects I?ve invented in my retirement. I?ve also in my 70th year, been learning to fly Gyroplanes and having nearly finished my training, now need to purchase a share in a Gyroplane.
The car has been modified by John and has some very nice driving aids in such an old car, things like wash/wipe, immobiliser, ABS brakes, electric headlight lifts, rewired the whole car with modern relays and fuses. It has modern sportscar seats, so is comfortable to drive. I do have the original seats, if required. John has also fitted a sunroof, which is not to my taste, so I have had a new roof panel made. This can also be supplied with the car if required.
The car was first registered in July 1968 and has been fitted with a galvanised chassis and outriggers (sills), so no major work needed there. The engine is a standard twin cam but has been fitted with a big valve head and sprint cams. It is not matching numbers. The gearbox is a Lotus five speed. I do have a type 9 gearbox in stock, but it needs a rebuild. I did around trip of 190 miles last weekend and the oil pressure stayed at a steady 40 PSI. The water temperature was just over 90degrees for the whole trip, which was excellent; as it was one of the hottest days of the year. The body is straight and true with no major cracks or starring. As standard it does have some osmosis, but I have removed the blisters to get rid of the moister. The bodywork is acceptable if you do not stand too close. The car would benefit from a respray, but it is perfectly acceptable as it is, if you don?t mind it not being concourse. The interior is acceptable and comfortable, but again, not concourse! The tyres and wheels are all good.
To sum up, the car is maybe not one for the purist, unless you would want to put it back to original specification. Overall, it is a very comfortable and usable car, with no major works to do, unless you want a show car. The car is tax and M.O.T. exempt. If you purchased this car you could just drive it home, no trailers needed. When I purchased the car, I believed it was a good investment, hopefully with prices coming into line with its baby sister in time.
I?ve looked at all of the other Plus 2?s for sale now, (September 2019) with running cars priced from ?12750 to thirty odd thousand for a Zetec show car. So, I?ve decided to offer this car at ?13000. I?m located in Newcastle upon Tyne.
I'm trying to find a way to add photos, I used to use Photobucket, but they don't want to play anymore. If you are interested PM me with an Email address and I will send you photos. But I will endeavour to ad photos.
Alan D.
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

If only I had the garage space...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_Slom2846 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Do you have a email address I could contact you on?
Rob_Slom2846
New-tral

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Photos would help people with/make a decision.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: seriouslylotus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 am

Slowtus wrote:Photos would help people with/make a decision.

I assume its this one as desription is the same andit has a 'sun roof'

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1150735
seriouslylotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:36 am

..with the "unique" C.Chapman signed wooden steering wheel...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Alan D. » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:12 pm

I agree, but I don't have a way of adding photos at the moment, This forum won't accept photos directly from my computer. I will have to find away.
Sorry for the inconvenience Alan
Alan D.
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Alan D. » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:13 pm

seriouslylotus wrote:

I assume its this one as desription is the same andit has a 'sun roof'

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1150735

Thank you for posting the link, yes it is one and the same.
Regards Alan
Alan D.
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Alan D. » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Rob_Slom2846 wrote:Do you have a email address I could contact you on?

[email protected]
Alan D.
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: