*** SOLD *** 1972 Elan S130/5

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi

I'm selling my Elan Plus 2 S130/5 because I fancy a DHC Elan.. :shock:

I'm sure you have seen all sorts of pictures of it and know its history with me. It's also on an external web site which I linked to in the other thread. Here are the salients:

1972 Lotus Elan Plus 2 in Roman Purple / Silver flake. Desirable original 5 speed gearbox. Oatmeal interior. Spyder chassis. Large history file with a stack of recent work done by me, including:

- Sue Miller CV Jointed driveshafts
- New dashboard (walnut veneer)
- Instruments overhauled with electronic clock protection circuit fitted
- Fused relays fitted to nosecone for lights, horn, radiator fan
- Suspension refresh - bushes, trunnions, uprights, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack bushes
- Engine bay refresh
- New clutch and braided clutch hose fitted
- 4 speaker bluetooth stereo with hands free and bluetooth streaming
- Gearshift overhauled
- New oil seals fitted: Gearbox, engine
- Differential professionally overhauled, new bearings, seals and brace rod bushes
- Huco electric fuel pump with inertia cutout fitted
- New air horns
- NS/Rear wheel bearings and billet driveshaft (O/S in good shape, and already billet)
- Steering column overhaul (proper U/J, new bushes)
- Heater box overhauled
- MX5 fuel filler one way valve
- NOS genuine Lotus mild steel silencer
- New anti roll bar bushes and ARB / droplinks repainted
- Airbox, plenum, engine repainted, carb bodies cleaned
- Propshaft rebuild (new U/Js and sliding joint)
- New speedometer and throttle cables
- Countless other service items including battery, oil and air filter, plugs, plug leads etc, etc.

All supported by a fat receipt file, spreadsheet and many, many photographs, to say nothing of the threads on the forum detailing the work done.

The car was subject to a QED engine rebuild in 1992 (50,000 miles ago) and has .020" oversized QED pistons, giving a very healthy 195 PSI on all four cylinders. It has electronic (contactless) ignition and has proven very reliable during my time with it. Previous owner had the original wheels refurbished and they still look really good. Fitted with Kumho Solus KH17 tyres with around 4000 miles on them and original chrome plated spinners. Original spare wheel, jack and lead headed hammer present (in the boot). Jacking points are still strong and usable (appears to have Spyder sill strengtheners fitted).

Other than the Spyder chassis, the car is very original with no evidence of poor past maintenance or inappropriate parts being fitted. My own schedule of work has aimed to improve the safety and drivability of the car in as sympathetic a way as possible. All electrics work as expected, including the clock and windows. Even the ambient temperature gauge is working. The new dashboard looks stunning.

This car is an absolute joy to drive. It handles superbly and has light, sensitive and very direct steering as a result of the refurbishment work I've done on the suspension. The engine sounds fantastic and pulls strongly all the way to the red line, easily keeping up with modern traffic.

The car is MOT and tax exempt, correctly registered as a Historic Vehicle. Priced realistically and competitively given its provenance and the amount of recent work that has been done to it.

£16,995

IMG_6276.jpg and

IMG_6277.jpg and

IMG_6278.jpg and

IMG_6279.jpg and

IMG_6283.jpg and

IMG_6387.jpg and
Last edited by JonB on Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:17 pm

I'm in love with the colour scheme, I hope it sells quick for you.
Best regards, Peter
Peter James Evans
1965 Elan S2 (Early 26R replica)
2001 Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Car
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Blimey Jon, it's like a DIY version of Wheeler Dealers - you buy the car and spend an eternity (and some considerable money) fixing all the faults before selling it for a price that must value your labour at about ?1/hr. As Mike 'Oilslick' Brewer says on every show after the spannering is finished: 'this must be one of the best in the country'. I hope it sells quickly for you.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:59 pm

If it was one of the best in the country it'd be 25k plus. :lol:

But I think the price is fair. I don't value the labour because truth be told it was fun, mostly. Now I know all about them, I can look for a DHC with the benefit of experience and knowledge.

I've said this before, but I think I was lucky with this Plus 2. Nothing came as a surprise to me, other than the rear wheel bearing I had to swap. The rest of it, I knew needed doing when I bought it.

It's a great car, so if it doesn't sell... *shrug*
Last edited by JonB on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:36 am

It will sell - it has a proper roof :D :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Not so far, so I dropped the price. Now £16995 and no offers.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Glenn M » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:27 pm

Jon,
Email and PM sent.
Cheers,
Glenn
69 Lotus Elan Plus 2
74 Alfa Romeo GTV
71 Triumph Stag
Glenn M
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Jon, I noticed your car for sale on the classic car website and that you are looking for a DHC Elan. Just thought I would mention that I also noticed on said website a dark green Elan DHC for sale at a garage up north. I owned this car for quite a few years and spent a lot of time tinkering with it. It had already been resprayed and had had a galvanized chassis fitted. In my ownership I had very little trouble with it. I sold it to Paul Matty about 8 years ago. If you are looking for a good genuine car (assuming subsequent owner(s) have looked after it) then I think it is fairly priced. Good luck with finding a car anyway.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks William.

Need to sell first, though! Now the sun is starting to come out, it shouldn’t be too long. I’m starting to get calls... 8)
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jenson » Sat May 02, 2020 11:23 am

Good afternoon,

I couldn't see if you have yet sold your Plus 2 - is it still for sale please?

Many thanks
Jenson
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Mon May 04, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi Jenson

Yes, it is still here. I think the lockdown has frightened everyone away... sorry for not replying sooner, I missed your post. What would you like to know?

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am

Car is now sold.

Hopefully the new owner will pop up here... please give him a warm welcome.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 am

Excellent Jon! I am well pleased for you!
Was it to Jensen?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 17, 2020 11:09 am

No; Alex bought it. :)

Your pal never contacted me. Shame, it was a really cheap car when compared to everything else available at the moment. Still, one door closes, another opens, as they say. :D
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 am

A lesson in selling for you:

the next time you are selling a car and talking to someone who has lined up a few and about to make a call on one of them, do not tell him/her that you are selling your car 'soon' when in reality it is only two weeks away - you grab him/her by the whatevers and do not let go until you have a signature :D :D :D

I could well have been swayed - you seem to have covered all the niggles, the interior was what I wanted, I could have got used to the colour, and above all it did not have a stupid rag roof :lol:

What are you going to buy now?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: