1967 +2 #0164 Coming Up For Sale

PostPost by: DABARTH » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:01 am

Happy Monday, all -

As indicated during the posting of the '72 +2 S130 that I just sold (via this website), the '67 I have will be officially be going up for sale "completed" this Spring or Summer, but I'm willing to consider selling it as is to the right buyer now.

The '67 I have is a very special car (IMHO), and it is located only 15 minutes or so SE of Mpls. I have documentation on it going back to it's original order forms, letters from the son of the original owner, and MUCH much more.. In a small nutshell here is its story:

50/0164 is an early first year model that was ordered as a "kit" in French Blue. It was a meticulously maintained daily driver in the England for @ 7 years when it was hit by a Reliant Robin (THANK GOODNESS!) and sent back to Hethel for repair. At that time, the car was repainted to it's current Guards White. Additionally, the original head was modified by LOTUS to BIG VALVE proportions (so says the correspondence).

In the early 80's the car was sold to an American in New Mexico and imported through Texas (again - I have all the papers). It had been converted to LHD. It then went to Colorado where it was then acquired by its most recent owner @ 1990 - a gentleman who was a walking encyclopedia of all things +2. His paperwork, and documentation about this car is mind-blowing, and he has history on most of the +2 cars in the USA. I met him almost 30 years ago when I acquired my first +2 (an early '68... #0550), and we remained in touch.

This car was his true pride and joy. He won numerous awards with the car and multiple LOGs and other shows. Around 10 years ago he pulled the engine and had all of the pieces rebuild/reconditioned and returned to him in parts so that he could reassemble everything to his standards. Sadly, that was not meant to be as he came down with a disease that made him wheel chair ridden so the car sat in storage and partially disassembled since. I would go over and move the car (which was on wheel dollies) for him a couple of times a year and he would reassert his intentions on getting the car back on the road.

Sadly, he lost his battle with the disease this past Fall. He left instructions with his widow that he wanted me to have the cars to restore and/or find appropriate new owners for.

So... currently this car has the rebuilt engine - in pieces - waiting to be reassembled and reinstalled. The wiring harnesses will need going though (I have a complete harness from his massive collection of parts that I believe was purchased for the car), as will the hydraulics and fuel system as a result of sitting. I'm having the Webers rebuilt as I type this. I've had the original radiator evaluated and it is compromised - possibly beyond repair, but it will go with the car. A new Aluminum unit has been purchased for the car. I have purchased rebuild kits for all the brake and clutch components (over $500 in total from RD Enterprises). The dashboard should be refinished to compliment the condition of the rest of the car. The lovely period tires should sadly be replaced as they are certain to have aged out, as should the doughnuts that - although replaced at one time, should be done so again for safety sake. If I was keeping the car as my personal one I'd be doing a CV swap and keep the original axles for posterity (as with the radiator). The interior is gorgeous (other than the dash face), and the fiberglass, paint and chrome are all exceptional.

My intention is to reassemble and install the engine, source and install new wiring harnesses if the one I have on hand is incorrect, rebuild and install the brakes and clutch hydraulics, reface the dash, install modern period correct tires, replace the doughnuts and then take the car to Barret Jackson or Mecum auctions. I believe given its condition, and detailed and special history that restored as described it could easily fetch north of $40K.

All that said, I would entertain selling the car as is - with all the original (including the Chapman signed steering wheel) and new parts I've sourced and it's library of literature, receipts, pictures, documentation - including delivery in the continental USA for the right price - which will increase as I continue to accumulate parts/make repairs.

The pictures supplied do not do it justice. They are a few of the "historic" pictures that came with the car, as well as a few of the car when I acquired it out of storage in October. I've not had the chance to detail the car since moving it from it's storage to the shop where it is pictured at now. These photos are fresh from rolling it off the trailer. I have a digital folder started including many photos, title images, and just some of the detailed hand written ownership history notes that come with the car that I'm willing to share with sincerely interested buyers.

If you are indeed interested feel free to send me a P.M. or an email directly:

[email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Thanks for the time and consideration, and Happy Lotusing!
Attachments
At Shop 6 10-24-23.jpg and
At Shop 3 10-24-23.jpg and
Historic Pics 3.jpg and
220...221... Whatever it takes.
DABARTH
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: