Lotus Elan

LotusElan.net - a classic car club?

PostPost by: hatman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 am

I'm posting this here as it does seem to me to be something 'in common' to all owners (at least UK ones - don't know about non-UK situations I'm afraid but read on and the relevance or otherwise should become apparent).

I, in common with many other users of this site I suspect, am a member of Club Lotus, which I immediately joined on acquiring my car. In the early days I found it interesting, useful and relevant to me as an Elan owner but this has gradually changed over the years to the point where Club Lotus is now mainly focussed on the ownership of the Elise and its derivatives, with only a passing and apparently largely disinterested nod to Elannery. I still retain membership however but (and this is the whole point of this posting - 'Thank God; at last!' you may well be muttering) only because I need to be a 'classic car club' member to qualify for classic car insurance cover.

Question is, if registered posters on this site were to be issued with their own unique 'membership' number, would it qualify as a 'classic car club', thereby fufilling that particular criterion for cheaper insurance? Could it be introduced? Anyone know? Anyone care?
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:19 pm

That sounds like a good idea.This site has has helped make my car ownership far easier than it may have been in my admittedly short ownership span.I also joined other clubs when i first brought my plus 2 but this forum is of far more help and interest..Not sure though what needs to be done to form a club?

Cheers,

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:51 pm

AFAIK LotusElan.net needs to be a recognised (by the insurance companies) as a car club.

One way to find out is phone up for a quote and see if they give any discount when mentioning this great site 8)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Allison » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi,

Not sure which strand to follow first! So here goes - do all insurers require classic car club membership to give discounted rates? Our 1967 Yellow Elan is with Royal & Sun Alliance through Aon (01384 552788) unlimited mileage and does require that we have an everyday car as well - not sure if they need club membership - £135. Don't know how that compares to your quote but maybe you have to consider the total package cost when comparing terms. If you're in East Anglia the East Anglia Lotus Club is only £12 per year.

As for Club Lotus it's true that Elans are a minority interest - but I'd say they are the cars that do the interesting things! When we went on a club weekend to Yorkshire a few years ago ours was the only Elan but the new breed of Elise owners were mighty impressed by how it handled!

Sadly there are fewer Elans on the road than the modern cars, generally owned by older members and they are irregular in attending club meetings - is the solution in our hands to get to local meetings and use the cars so they are seen around?

PS - our report of two Elans in Iceland will appear in the April issue of Club Lotus - guess there aren't too many Elises can claim to have been there.

Peter & Allison
Allison
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Allison wrote: - do all insurers require classic car club membership to give discounted rates?

No, they don't, nor do they all insist on so called club valuations for agreed value cover (providing you are sensible). My advice FWIW is to shop around.

What possible difference can club membership make anyway?

Alison's point about EALC is a good one if you really feel the need for club membership look locally, they are often much better value. You may find they are not marque specific, but in my experience general classic car clubs are often much friendlier and less "cliquey"

I would add that this forum is much more use to Elan owners than any club :D
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 am

This forum is INVALUABLE to Elan owners!
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:42 am

We need a fancy grill badge and patch to be a real club :^)
Phil
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:49 am

Hi all

From the far side of the pond (Vancouver Island) also known as Canada's "Lotus Land".

I have been an off and on member of Club Lotus - 20 years ago I found it relevent for info, not so now. i am am a member of the Lotus Club of British Columbia - it gives me local support and comradery.

But may I suggest that this forum is the most valuable "CLUB" I could ever hope to participate in.

After 45 plus years of ownership it is comforting to know that I can get good advise from my friends all over the world.

Lets keep them running!

Bill - 26/0538
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:11 am

The problem with Club Lotus having so few Elan articles is largely due to the fact that, since Mr Arnold went to the Lotus club in the sky, most articles featured in the club magazine are written by contributors (i.e. members).

I guess the only way we can get more Elan specific articles are to write some ourselves. Personally, the technical articles have more interest for me than tales of road trips and this site provides plenty of tech talk thankfully.

Didn't Club Lotus used to do technical bulletins?
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Robbie693 wrote:The problem with Club Lotus having so few Elan articles

I guess the only way we can get more Elan specific articles are to write some ourselves.

Didn't Club Lotus used to do technical bulletins?

First point: This is what I thought too. So, with a few spare hours the other weekend, I went back through the last five years of Club Lotus News and counted (I know, it is sad!) the number of model specific articles. Top of the charts? The Elan (includes +2)! The Elise/Exige was runner up. I do not have the figures with me right now, but the most under-represented model was the M100.

Second point: Your correct, we have to write the articles ourselves. I have submitted a 'Sprint Corner' article, though I missed the deadline for the January News. I hope that it will be printed alongside Tim Mees' Type 26 Register articles, which are now a regular feature. In time it would be good to think that other contributions would make up an Elan section in the magazine.

Third point: The technical bulletins are still available from Club Lotus. I updated a few of mine the other month.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: