Some Thoughts

PostPost by: Wickey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:27 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Stan,
I'm sorry to read of the tragic accident that occurred many years ago, it obviously affected you deeply and was no doubt life changing. I'm a little perplexed as to why therefore you feel the need to give so much enthusiasm to such a trivial matter on a web forum.

BTW: the topic you refer to is deleted or locked, I can't review it and I don't have an eidetic memory, so if you say that I insulted Plus2 by calling him "Lowly" or whatever for no good reason I would say that's probably true. Gosh am I nasty or what :lol:

Perhaps go back and edit your previous post to remove the "up****ing" word or "JC" (sic) will probably moderate it for you :shock:

Alan,

Good point I have done that......forgot I don't have the privileges JC affords to the higher gears like you :D

Yes I can't access the topic either but I assumed that was JC throwing his teddy out the pram at me because I did call you and Taylor a pair of to55ers but only after I had put the word in the forum search engine to see if it was acceptable on the forum and not get deleted automatically. if you never got to read the post I wrote as I know some did before deleted I also said something to the effect I felt you were acting like the little boy in a gang hanging on to Taylor's shirt tails with your follow on post and you would not find the sun but just a flash bulb he had swallowed. That was a bad day for me as Plus2 had rang to say he had sold his Elan.

Hey I am retired now and 40 years on in the past time to forgive but I will never forget......well at least Lotus Cars. My wife today knows everything as did everyone of my employers and somewhat stating the obvious to think it affected me...... of course it was a whole change in life not just physically as I could not work but also losing your dearest. At 6ft3 and pretty fit....well fitter back then I was not bothered by any others.

Like i said finally the years mellow you and actually I spent a whole day with Plus2 when i went to view his car and I think he is a star. I confessed my history as he was in 'morning' having just lost one of his cats :roll:

I have to say we drank a lot and I thought his wife was making a meal (prawn salad or something) as the prawns piled up on the plates.............then these other furry balls all appeared to eat them. I did get to leave with a case of wine from his vineyard in France but sadly not the car and now it has been sold.

Not quite sure what 'trivial matter' you refer to but again I think I stated above i do have better things to do so 'zipped up' on the clutch thread and was hopefully seeing the last of this one. Actually my wife and children are currently touring Aus/NZ spending the retirement funds so a bit too much time for me to fill wondering what will be left to spend on a car. However you were asking in a polite manner so I respect and replied otherwise I think I would have called it a day. Sadly I have never been able to turn the other cheek and probably had too much time occupied in litigation and the courts. Maybe once I get a new car it will take my time up.....but then I have no tools or spanners skills so only really get to drive and polish the cars :lol:
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Stan,
Your reply was an enjoyable read, I don't think we see eye to eye on certain matters, but why let that upset anyone?

Enjoy the search for the car.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:00 pm

AHM wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:These days I limit myself to starting or joining conversations on the forums where I feel I can make a useful contribution.

No you don't Alan!

Spyder fan wrote: I now refrain from making this type of post.

And type with your fingers crossed!

Sorry Simon? Do you have any serious examples to present where I have caused offence in recent times. I'm always happy to discuss and put things right if I'm at fault.

The title of the topic is "some thoughts" and the first post outlines an essay that asks us all to think a little about other people's feelings, I'm genuinely trying to embrace that attitude.

Theres an old topic titled overpriced Sprints and register of dodgy sidewinders, I suggest you look it up and have a laugh at my expense, it is quite funny at times and I get my comeuppance, vintage Elan.net imho. free-parking-f45/overpriced-sprints-register-dodgy-stripes-arches-t23305.html
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:44 am

Probably irrelevant now but, the thread that lead to Steve's (PLU52) departure has indeed been cleaned up, including the part where he announced his intention to leave.

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/introducations-f46/dud-518k-gareth-hill-t32591.html#p219273

I am little out of touch with the forum machinations of late but am I correct to assume Pete has been given the boot?
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Geeeezzz - I really struggle to keep up with all this.

I am just a simple guy -- give me a twin cam valve assembly tolerance problem and i can solve it. However thi is much harder and you need my wife to solve this sort of problem :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Sorry Simon? Do you have any serious examples to present where I have caused offence in recent times. I'm always happy to discuss and put things right if I'm at fault.

Alan,
You miss represent your comments! Nothing to do with offence.
You are happy to give your opinion, pointed comments, irony, and sarcasm, regularly and at will. - No offence taken.

But to claim somewhat pompously that you "limit yourself" and inviting others to decide if they "fit in" Give over!

You comment every time there is something to have a dig about. At least have the nerve to be consistent.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Simon
I don't know why you are choosing this particular time to have a pop at me? If you don't like my posts or my style just ignore me. I don't need your advice and frankly I find your posts argumentative so I avoid you when possible, but we have been able to help each other with insurance in the past unless I am thinking of another Simon who is a bit more amenable?

You don't present any examples just your opinion which I respect but disagree with.

Regards

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Alan,
If you had said I enjoy getting involved and my sarcasm and irony are sometimes misunderstood that would be one thing.

It is my disbelief that you claim the contrary.

Call me argumentative, I can argue but it takes two.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Jeff -

This topic is such a great joy to watch and behold. Perhaps we could have a forum that is simple titled "arguments". It seems that some people just can't resist taking the bait and then fighting back as if they were a Blue Marlin.

And Wickey, if you reckon you're "Mellowed" - I'd hate to have come across all 75 inches of you when you weren't.
If you choose to come and live in an old village next to a church, don't complain about the bellringers.

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:50 pm

..............even if certain additions are more than questionable or just too obvious for some to comprehend h.t.f. can someone ask such a simple question: but they're here to acquire that additional knowledge AND they're grateful ------------------------- do you get much gratitude at home??????????????? sandy PS so dont jump on em wise asses!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Paul, toomssj, says it all, wind it in chaps.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:58 am

toomspj wrote:Jeff -

This topic is such a great joy to watch and behold. Perhaps we could have a forum that is simple titled "arguments". It seems that some people just can't resist taking the bait and then fighting back as if they were a Blue Marlin.

And Wickey, if you reckon you're "Mellowed" - I'd hate to have come across all 75 inches of you when you weren't.
If you choose to come and live in an old village next to a church, don't complain about the bellringers.

Paul

Love bells Paul, woke me up everymorning at 6am for 7 years. :mrgreen: The ones I hear now from our local village church though are much more pleasant. Could do without the ones at night though that the tinnitus causes :lol:
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Wickey,

I have read through your various comments. Here are my thoughts.

This forum is different than most forums. We moderate this forum very differently than most forums. This does not mean it is wrong. It is just different.

LotusElan.net primary readership is males between the ages of 40 and death. Understanding this audience, I expect the members to be adults. An adult is someone who is mature and sensible; not childish.

The LotusElan.net community decided many years ago to be self policing and not have a heavy handed moderator approach. This has worked very well over the 13 years the forum has existed. Since 2003, we have permanently banned 2 people and have temporarily banned 9 members. So far in 2016, I have only had to warn 3 members.

Since the community is self policing the more tenured members will give new members nudges and suggestions to tone down any level of aggressiveness. If the person does not heed the warning of existing members, the posts will be reported. Once a post has been reported, I investigate and moderate the post/member.

We expect members:
1. To be respectful to others. No personal attacks.
2. When a post breaks rule #1, report the post and let me take care of it.

Moderating a board with this much freedom takes more effort when an item gets reported. Lots of times, it is two individuals who know each other personally and are having fun. A third party reads it and misunderstands the comments. Other times, there are actions that need to be taken.

I would suggest leaving your preconceived ideas on how the forum should be moderated. Just be respectful to others. Enjoy your Elan. Enjoy discussing about Elans. Report something that concerns you.

When this happens, life is good.

jeff

p.s. I would have replied sooner, but was on a college visit with my son. It was fun seeing how much engineering schools have changed in the 30 years since I attended.
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 pm

I just finished reviewing the 2500 posts that contained a bad word. The net results that since 1999 (the forum has the email list archive included), I ended up deleting and/or editing about 75 posts.

The 75 posts were questionable, but I went ahead and cleaned them up/deleted them. I guess out of 232,500 posts, 75 questionable posts is ok. That is 0.03% of the posts made. May be the moderation isn't as bad as it is portrayed.

Funny observations along the way.

• We have had a lot of members over the years named Dick.
  • We have a lot of anal retentive people by their own admission.
  • MOT pisses a lot of people off.
  • It does not take much to get your steering cocked. (out of alignment.)
  • It is damn cold where many of our members live.
  • Lotus Elans appear to be a pain in the ass / arse on a regular basis.
  • It appears some people have nicknamed their elans some reference to bitch.
  • It is a bugger to do anything behind or under the dash.
  • Fiberglass work requires butt welds.
  • Many people lust after other member's elans.

From damn Hot Texas (101F/38C).

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Great posts Jeff, just what was needed. Thanks for the forum, I admit to being more of a reader than writer but contribute if I can, and get irritated by snark. It fixes nothing!
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: