Lotus Elan

Talking of Scams

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:03 pm

I don’t know how many other members are getting this advert on the bottom of pages.

50cc03b0-3a2d-4f74-8c21-145deed6d3aa.jpeg and

I’m either a lucky sod and I’m always the millionth visitor (or I’m somehow being targeted by bots). These sort of ‘adverts’ are scams as you have no chance of winning anything much.

Jeff can you block them somehow?
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Ad Block Plus keeps them at bay.

I contribute to the site so I don't feel bad using an ad blocker here. Jeff, what's your take on ad blockers?
Bud
1970 +2S Fed
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams
Bud English
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:16 pm

That reminded me I had Ad Block turned off. No wonder I keep being told I'm the millionth visiter. The trouble with ads is that they come in all levels of aggression. At the moment I have one for Euro Car Parts (the local branch of which I occasionally buy stuff from) sitting below the posts on this topic. I'm obviously targeted by them although the technology that allows them to target this computer from my email address is not something I've yet worked out. Either way I don't really mind their ad and if it helps support the site then all well and good.

It's the click bait ones which turn out to be nothing but adverts, the pop ups you can't get rid of and the ones that suddenly appear in the middle of a paragraph of text that annoy me. I've stopped visiting a number of sites because the adverts are so all encompassing - something that does seem to be counterproductive.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Tue May 01, 2018 2:23 am

elanfan1 wrote:I don’t know how many other members are getting this advert on the bottom of pages.

50CC03B0-3A2D-4F74-8C21-145DEED6D3AA.jpeg

I’m either a lucky sod and I’m always the millionth visitor (or I’m somehow being targeted by bots). These sort of ‘adverts’ are scams as you have no chance of winning anything much.

Jeff can you block them somehow?

I can only block by advertiser types. (i.e. adult, etc...). I do not have the ability to block by individual advertiser.

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
"Someday I will spend more time on the Elan and less time on the website."
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Tue May 01, 2018 2:28 am

Bud English wrote:Ad Block Plus keeps them at bay.

I contribute to the site so I don't feel bad using an ad blocker here. Jeff, what's your take on ad blockers?

The advertising pays the bills. Donations only cover about 25% of the costs. Without the advertising I would have to shut down the website due to the costs.

So,if you use an ad blocker and donate, life is good.

If you use an ad blocker and do not donate, you are taking advantage of others generosity.

If you do not use an ad blocker and donate, you are very appreciated.

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Tue May 01, 2018 2:31 am

69S4 wrote:That reminded me I had Ad Block turned off. No wonder I keep being told I'm the millionth visiter. The trouble with ads is that they come in all levels of aggression. At the moment I have one for Euro Car Parts (the local branch of which I occasionally buy stuff from) sitting below the posts on this topic. I'm obviously targeted by them although the technology that allows them to target this computer from my email address is not something I've yet worked out. Either way I don't really mind their ad and if it helps support the site then all well and good.

It's the click bait ones which turn out to be nothing but adverts, the pop ups you can't get rid of and the ones that suddenly appear in the middle of a paragraph of text that annoy me. I've stopped visiting a number of sites because the adverts are so all encompassing - something that does seem to be counterproductive.

It is a challenge to find the right mix of ads to content. A lot of click bait sites are only ads. We tried to find the right balance here. If you do not logon,you get a bunch of ads. If you logon, you get less. The ad company tells me to switch this up, but I am not here to make money. Just to keep the site up and running.

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue May 01, 2018 5:36 am

The percentage covered by donations is disappointing. I only get three ads per page with the ad blocker disabled, and they seem to be relevant to searches I've recently made. Well except for that one for plus size bras. I get three per page logged in or not, with the only difference being that logged in they are all at the bottom of the page. That's not all that annoying. I'll keep it turned off. :wink:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams
Bud English
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue May 01, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks Jeff, I think the level of ads here have been kept to a very reasonable level.

Will make a donation, but have never had a good concept of the costs of a forum like this - if you don't mind sharing, what is typical in terms of monthly or annual cost?
Henry
69 S4
SENC
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm

SENC wrote:Thanks Jeff, I think the level of ads here have been kept to a very reasonable level.

Will make a donation, but have never had a good concept of the costs of a forum like this - if you don't mind sharing, what is typical in terms of monthly or annual cost?

The monthly cost for the forum is about $350USD a month. Advertising averages about $175USD a month. Contributions averages $75USD a month.

Jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Do the ad-bots notice if someone is on the site with an ad blocker running? I've been on some large business sites (using a different browser where ad block is on by default) and after a few seconds a shame pop up tells me I'm taking the advertising income bread from their mouths. Is that the case here? Do you get less income if we forget to turn ad blocker off? Does it make any difference if we click on the ads?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm

jcocking wrote:
The monthly cost for the forum is about $350USD a month. Advertising averages about $175USD a month. Contributions averages $75USD a month.

Jeff

Can we deduce that you're loosing $100/month then? That would not be "fair".....

For others I make a donation each month through paypal, it's an easy way to do it & is painless way to support my addiction.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Tue May 01, 2018 4:37 pm

69S4 wrote:Do the ad-bots notice if someone is on the site with an ad blocker running? I've been on some large business sites (using a different browser where ad block is on by default) and after a few seconds a shame pop up tells me I'm taking the advertising income bread from their mouths. Is that the case here? Do you get less income if we forget to turn ad blocker off? Does it make any difference if we click on the ads?

Lots of questions,

Yes and No, the ad-bots do notice if there is an ad-blocker. Depends on the type of ad-blocker. The code complaining about taking money is added by the site. I try not to be that rude.

Yes, if you have an ad-blocker, we lose money. Just make a regular donation to help cover the expenses.

Ads pay on two different model. The site gets money for every 1,000 ads shown and then gets money if you click on the ad.

But, do not just start clicking on ads. If the purchase to click ratio falls below a certain threshold, we get flagged and then the amount of money paid for the every 1,000 ads is drastically reduced. If the ad is interesting, then please click through and see where it goes. If not, then ignore.
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Tue May 01, 2018 4:40 pm

pharriso wrote:
jcocking wrote:

Jeff

Can we deduce that you're loosing $100/month then? That would not be "fair".....

For others I make a donation each month through paypal, it's an easy way to do it & is painless way to support my addiction.

Yes, that is the way the money works. My restoration budget first keeps the website up and running. If there is anything left over, I try to spend it on the car to get it running. I should have created a parts wish list many years ago......
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 pm

thx jeff for your excellent forum . have just donated via paypal link on home page .
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue May 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Donation made, and will plan to do so regularly.

Thanks for the education, it has been interesting and enlightening, as well as for the forum. And thanks to those who contribute both financially and with their knowledge and experience.

Henry
Henry
69 S4
SENC
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: