Zetec basics

PostPost by: forfenderjazz » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:55 pm

I just purchased a 69 Plus 2 and have a few questions about the Zetec conversion. First, what transmission is used with the Zetec engine in the Plus 2? Is there a car sold here in the USA that I can get the engine/transmission from? I'm pretty sure I want to go with the Zetec when I build up my car. Thanks, Roy
forfenderjazz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:06 am

The existing Elan gearbox will bolt straight onto the Zetec.
You will need an extended thrust bearing carrier to suit the shorter clutch and a different (pre-engage) starter that will engage the flywheel from the front rather than the back. (or is it vice-versa?)
Alternatively people use the Ford MT75 five speed gearbox which normally has a cable operated clutch, with all it's complications. (I think the ones that are fitted to Vans have a concentric hydraulic clutch cylinder which would be preferable).
Your local Ford dealer will be able to tell you if MT75's are used in your country.
The best choice is one from a LHD vehicle, this will put the starter motor on the side away from the exhaust.
Be warned the Zetec conversoin does not come cheap or without it's headaches!
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: forfenderjazz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:18 am

Thanks for the reply. My old Elan S2 had a pretty wimpy gearbox and so I'm thinking I'd want to try a gearbox made for the power output of the motor. It looks like the Zetec engine will burn any grade of gas and give great power output. High compression ratios engines are often particular about the octane of fuel they burn. Thanks, Roy
forfenderjazz
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: