Help (Again)

PostPost by: bob_rich » Mon May 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Again Paul

For my fuel feed I am using the arrangement that Spyder use. I got all the bits from them.
As I completely stripped down my car to its bare chassis which was a Spyder one fitted around 1990

I took the chassis to them to check over and do a couple of minor repairs and I also had them fit a couple of feed through bushes in the upper chassis so I could feed the 8mm steel pipes for the fuel flow and return. I then installed them during the chassis re-assembly.

I have an original fuel tank and have just fitted it using wooden batons from Spyder. It is now easy to get fuel feed /return to the pipes and access to the tank output in the boot. All the "stuff" then goes in the boot. I have just started this bit myself.

I dont have a picture of mine yet but have attached one I took from another car which should convey the basic idea. The fuel feed is very different for fuel injection compared to the original carburetor arrangement.

regarding the electrics I have designed my own cable loom specifically for the Engine Management and Control. Karl at Emerald kindly checked it over and gave me the OK on it.
you R most welcome to a copy if you wish.

Best of luck

Bob

Hope this helps let me know if U would like any of my pictures --should be done in the next month or so.
Attachments
DSC00947.JPG and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Paul

It's not that difficult,I used the original fuel pump (well the electric replacement) and mounted the high pressure fuel pump and swirl pot in the nose (easier to retrofit the carbs if need be)...

John :wink:
Attachments
efi swirl and pump.jpg and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi guys,It seems that this has been resurected at a good time.I had a complete loss of power to the coil and therefore my ignition failed!!!!! So in the spirit off true Lotus ownership,I thought Id trace the fault myself.So far I have stripped the engine loom right back and have removed the radiator to get to all the wires,oh at this point I didnt have a wiring diagram,or a multimeter.I do now.
I say its at a good time because its getting to the point where I can almost think about instaling the EFI myself.Anyway,to clarify the fuel issue,I got a tank made by axminster for EFI.It has a fuel return so in my mind,I only need to suply the fuel pump with filterd fuel and send it to the rail,then it will return to the tank,No swirl pot needed.Am I right?
My second issue is how to fire the ignition,then the third is the cooling.Ill get to them indue course but ideas are always welcome.
The hardest and most time consuming is wiring up the EFI and sensors properly.Which brings me onto the point of stripping back the loom to fix a fault.Any "spikes" from the origonal loom may cause damage,Id rather not have to buy a new ECU.But as car and work are in 2 different places,it will be a long drawn out task.
Bob,Id love to see all your photos,and a copy of the loom would be great too,thanks.
John,what system are you running?

Many thanks,
Paul.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Paul

Am running Megasquirt extra with I think suzuki GPZ throttle bodies but this winter want to change over to a single throttle plate and plenum...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Whats the power and torque curve like?
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 am

Sorry,no idea,it's been nowhere near a rolling road as it's in a permanent state of use/restoration...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Paul

Just a word of caution! I think I would get the electric OK B 4 any attempt to fit ECU based engine management. The coil based ignition is a very simple circuit (relative the an ECU based system) and could be brought up to spec by a simple overhaul and replace all the coil >points>ignition switch>tacho feed wires with new wiring external to the existing loom.

I have attached my wiring diagram so you will get an idea of the degree of electrical work involved in fitting an ECU. The system I propose is based upon the outline guide in Dave Walkers (of Emeralds) Book ( ISBN 978 1 85960 835 7).

When I got my +2 it had been on Sorn 4 about 2 years. I basically got it going, got an MOT and then drove it for around 9 months to see if there were any other underlying faults. I found my ignition wiring, the tacho performance ,and starting were a bit iffy. I rewired the ignition, re did the earths, and fitted a points assist electronic ignition. This keeps the points but uses a transistor to switch the coil and permitted the higher energy coil, fitted by the PO, 2 B used without rapidly burning the points.

anyway hope this advise helps best of luck

Bob
Attachments
WLY114M ECU Wiring Diagram_b.doc
(88.5 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Paul

Just a word of caution! I think I would get the electric OK B 4 any attempt to fit ECU based engine management. The coil based ignition is a very simple circuit (relative the an ECU based system) and could be brought up to spec by a simple overhaul and replace all the coil >points>ignition switch>tacho feed wires with new wiring external to the existing loom.

I have attached my wiring diagram so you will get an idea of the degree of electrical work involved in fitting an ECU. The system I propose is based upon the outline guide in Dave Walkers (of Emeralds) Book ( ISBN 978 1 85960 835 7).

When I got my +2 it had been on Sorn 4 about 2 years. I basically got it going, got an MOT and then drove it for around 9 months to see if there were any other underlying faults. I found my ignition wiring, the tacho performance ,and starting were a bit iffy. I rewired the ignition, re did the earths, and fitted a points assist electronic ignition. This keeps the points but uses a transistor to switch the coil and permitted the higher energy coil, fitted by the PO, 2 B used without rapidly burning the points.

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:47 pm

bob_rich wrote:Hi Paul

Bob

Bob, fair play to you! Although I have no plans to install an ECU, I think it's great when those who have done something different share their details to shorten the road for others seeking to follow the same path! 8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Bob,
Thanks very much for that,I will print that up at A3 and Laminate it.So far Im in the process of removing every bit of the old electrics.Then ill start from scratch and have a new loom as mine seems to be a bit of a mix of everything.I think this will take a bit longer than I thought as Im teaching myself electrics as I go along.Brave or Stupid,The forum can decide !!! But thanks for the diagram,

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 am

Just a few pics of what ive been up to,hopfully get a dedicated ignition circuit in the next few weeks up and running so I can drive her again..
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: