Question - caliper mounting brackets

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi folks,

Hopefully someone on here knows the answer to this one....

I'm collecting parts for a +2 brake conversion for my S3 elan and am struggling to find the caliper mounting brackets. I know you can get Al. machined ones at roughly ?130 but it seems wrong to pay more for the brackets than brand new calipers, so I'm looking for s/h.

Anyway, I've been offered brackets from a TR6. I know it uses the same calipers but does anyone know if the mounting brackets are the same as the GT6 ?

thanks

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david g » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 pm

yes same as gt6. will mount girling size 16 calipers very heavy 5kg.i would think again think unsprung weight add lightness
david g
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:26 pm

thanks David.

Yes I appreciate the calipers are heavy but I'm on a budget and no doubt would be in deep trouble if I went for alloy calipers :(
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:37 am

TR6 looks different to me:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006690

I have a pair of the GT6 brackets if you can't find any.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 am

I got some second had from Spyder, they had loads at the time and were cheap. I'm guessing they are surplus when they build one of the Zetec cars?

The +2 calipers and mounts are indeed really heavy but they stop the car by locking the front wheels first, rather than the rears, which is something I never really got along with. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:58 pm

UAB807F wrote:I've been offered brackets from a TR6. I know it uses the same calipers but does anyone know if the mounting brackets are the same as the GT6?

Looking at the Rimmer graphics the TR6 is different to the GT6 which I think would be the best fit for an Elan.
Canley Classics sell the GT6 ones in aluminium - but seem expensive.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for that link Paddy, it is most obliging of Rimmers to have pictures of the TR6 and GT6 front suspension. :)

As you and the others say, they might mount the same caliper but the offset looks different. I've not seen them or ever had a TR6 so didn't really have a clue, I just knew the calipers were the same size.

These mounts seem to be very elusive things. I know there are TTR aluminimum ones but they cost more than I've just paid for a pair of brand new calipers, which seems all wrong to me. The Canley classics I'd also seen, a bit cheaper than TTR but still more than the calipers !
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Brian

I have an S3SE and the brakes are fantastic.

Do you think you need to look at the fundamentals before going down the big and heavy road?

Just a thought.....................................

David
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi David,

To be honest I've never been unhappy with the Elan's brakes and after all back in the day every road tester praised the car, so as you say there isn't anything wrong with the OEM system. The brakes are fine but in all honesty they're just not as good as some modern systems, so the move to bigger calipers comes as part of a long re-think and not just as a response to "the brakes don't work".

Firstly I want to move to a dual circuit system; no real engineering reason but as I get older I've started thinking about servo leaks and why a 12-14cwt car should need a servo anyway. My Elise is heavier, has no servo and the brakes are way better, so I'd like that sort of braking on the Elan. So that started the process and I then thought about more piston area, disc size, etc.

The M16 caliper route seems to be a good balance between improvement & cost (very important or so I'm told) so that's the reason. And to be fair, it's not really that heavy. The discs are only an inch or so bigger, the calipers aren't that more than the M14's they replace and if I was pedantic I'd say that in removing the servo I'd have a net weight loss...... that's my tale & I'm sticking to it ! :D

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: