soft top

PostPost by: kerryblu » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi all,
Has anybody thought about making an alround(except where the fasteners go) plexy-clear glass top. All round visability,and keep the Mrs warm as well.

Gerald.

S4 70 dhc oew.

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Do you really mean plexiglass?

e.g. :shock:
ClearTop.jpg and
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Mimic-ing a hardtop shape I reckon that'd look quite cool but how would you fit one around the window frames. Probably very expensive to do too.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:21 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Mimic-ing a hardtop shape I reckon that'd look quite cool but how would you fit one around the window frames. Probably very expensive to do too.

I think, maybe, Gerald was referring to something other than "plexiglass"...clear vinyl for a soft top????

However, similar idea has been discussed here:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index ... 60981.html

Looking "cool" is one thing...keeping cool is another with the greenhouse effect!

(I've been trying to find a pic of the "Bubble Top" fitted to a Healey...by Williams & Pritchard I think.)
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kerryblu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:28 pm

:oops: maybe the wronge name for the material, I was thinking of the plastic material that we see through in the soft top, use an old soft top as a pattern and sow it together.

Gerald.
kerryblu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 pm

kerryblu wrote::oops: maybe the wronge name for the material, I was thinking of the plastic material that we see through in the soft top, use an old soft top as a pattern and sow it together. Gerald.

Intriguing idea!

Don't know, but suspect rear window material would not have appropriate mech props.

Maybe something like the stuff used here?????????????

http://www.steelguardsafety.com/body_shop_curtains.htm
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kerryblu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi Richard,
Afraid a bit to up market for me, I made a trailer-tent before, so I was thinking of the material used in tent windows or a boat canopy. On the west coast of Ireland no sun more cloudy, so just a cheap project to do, so as to use the car more.Also thinking of getting a mohiar S/T of a big car, and using my soft top as a patturn for that too.

Gerald.
S4 70 dhc oew.
kerryblu
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: