Zetec-R and 5 speed Lotus Box,

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:30 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:I don't want to beat this to death but a neighbor who had an Elite with the Lotus five speed went through two gearboxes in short order and that was the cars death knell. I can't speak to the details of maintenance so I accept there can be quite a range of experience between this and what Rohan has reported. I agree that modern lubricants would likely help quite a bit. Keep in mind the that Lotus five speed uses internals from the Austin Maxi, 1750 cc, 84 or 95 bhp and 2200 lb. I have not found a torque specification for the Maxi but at 95 bhp at about 5500 rpm it is not a big number.

Russ,

As I see it:-
The duty cycle of the Elite/Eclat with me in it at 1200Kg against an Elan at 800Kg is a significant difference for similar power and torque figures.
The Maxi gear set has a capability much greater than that used in the Maxi itself, and will not be that dissimilar to a T9. What is different are the sychros - the Maxi baulk rings are small and fragile, and if not bedded-in correctly are known to fail/break - and that is it's weakness.
Alex Black and I were told by our tame guru on these boxes that it can take 2-3k miles to bed-in the baulk rings, and it can only be done correctly when lubricated with standard 20w/50 oil. Only when the box has completed about 3k miles should synthetic oil be considered. Both Alex and I now run with 20w/50 oil. The Redline I originally put in is now in a plastic bottle waiting for the right time to get used.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi all.

Must thank you all for the input and confess to a bit of a mistake.The BHP is 135 and torque is 180nm @ 4000rpm.however after fitting EFI,and not forgetting a better exhaust the increase was accurate.

When I get back the info regarding clutch components I can make a better decision.It maybe that ill keep the 4 and sell the 5 speed.Any takers?
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 am

pauljones915 wrote:maybe that ill keep the 4 and sell the 5 speed.Any takers?

And you'll always regret it. :) :( :)
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Ok,

I don't really want to sell the box.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Possibly better to start a new thread,but can anyone tell me if the lotus box has 23 splines.im looking at a clutch that's 7.5 in dia and to fit cross flow to type 9.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:26 pm

pauljones915 wrote:Possibly better to start a new thread,but can anyone tell me if the lotus box has 23 splines.im looking at a clutch that's 7.5 in dia and to fit cross flow to type 9.

The Lotus 5 speed box has 25 splines and the friction plate is 8.5".
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Brian,

You are a star,thank you.

Now begins a new search.

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Paul,

I'm sure I had my 8.5" clutch plate from Susan Miller.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Brian,
I keep trying her number but it keeps ringing out,I know she is a busy lady so ill keep trying.
Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:22 am

Just wondering...ref power handling of "Maxi" gearsets.

Found this old page from a mag (unknown) that implies that they weren't standard Austin parts, but were machined specially for Lotus applications.

Is that true? If so, how did they differ?

As an aside...(OK thread drift) Did CL get enough demand for their conversions to be offered? (i.e. 100+)

Technical Aside.jpg and

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 am

CCC.

Car and car conversions.

Interesting read,what is it that makes it a weak box anyway?
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:39 pm

ardee_selby wrote:Found this old page from a mag (unknown) that implies that they weren't standard Austin parts, but were machined specially for Lotus applications.

Interesting, I had never heard before that the internals were altered to Lotus specifications. The article suggests that the bell housing is all that is needed to covert a 2 liter Elite gearbox for use in an Elan. Not true, the tail sections are also different.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Well thank you to all who have replied.

I have now decided to cancel the idea of a zetec into my Spyder chassis,this is now for sale if anyone is interested.

Im thinking its best to install the 5 speed into my plus 2. This will be done at a later date,first thing is to get it rewired and the EFI sorted and the new MOT.Should be done for March :?

So,having said that,and reading through the forums Ive got this list,

I have the box with correct mount, prop shaft, gear lever, clutch fork mounted, clutch plate and driven plate to pick up.

So what else is needed?

Im going to need advice on the spigot bearing issue,can anyone help with that please?

The second issue I have is what are the pros and cons of keeping the origonal clutch mech,or swaping to a CSC system.Im thinking CSC.Any thoughts.I have made friends with a good welder so rerouting the exhaust isnt going to be a problem.

Anything im missing?

Thanks guys,

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 am

CBUEB1771 wrote:
ardee_selby wrote:Found this old page from a mag (unknown) that implies that they weren't standard Austin parts, but were machined specially for Lotus applications.

Interesting, I had never heard before that the internals were altered to Lotus specifications. The article suggests that the bell housing is all that is needed to covert a 2 liter Elite gearbox for use in an Elan. Not true, the tail sections are also different.

Given the differences in tail housing for the Austin application, the Elite and the Plus 2 I presume as well as bell housing they all needed a different output shaft as well as the different tail housing that held it, input shaft details such as length, spline and spigot bearing may also have differed. This is probably the special Lotus Machined internals they were talking about as everthing inside the main gear box housing and the 5th gear in the back is standard Austin as far as I am aware.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CSICO » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:19 am

Hi All!
- I am kind of a newbie with rather strange english language skills, so maybe you have to read my comment a couple of times before you understand what I try to communicate. Sorry about that.
I have attached a pdf file which might be of interest; I think there is a thread somewhere on the forums as well.
I to have a 5 speed Elan gearbox here which is waiting for refurbishment and I am quite interested in the experiences of others with higher output engines as I got a BD engine fitted to my car (206 DIN HP on the Dyno). I do have all the other bits - prop. shaft and transaxle member, so if somebody needs some data / measurements I should be able to help them.
Have a look at the description of the gearbox and please keep me informed what the outcome is!

Cheers

Csico
Attachments
elan5spd.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 786 times
S1, 1964
Mini JCW
CSICO
First Gear
First Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: