Strombergs or SUs for a 1760 Twink

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Morning Lads,
I'm building up a 1760cc Twink and have to make the big decision, Strombers, SUs or Webers. The good news is that I have some Stromberg heads but . . . I'm concerned about tuning the Stroms to work with the significantly bigger motor and the (likely QED 420) high lift cams that I plan to install.

Anyone had any experience tuning Stroms or SUs ? Thanks.
Regards,
Jonny
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Jonny,

90 veiws and no reply,WOW.

In my limited opinion on this subject,I would point you in the direction of a certain Mr David Vizard. I just borrowed my Dads book by him on Intake manifolds and carbs.Mainly for v8s but im sure if you do some tinter web research something closer to what you want will come up.In this book he discribes modding SU carbs to increase flow through them.It could be that you can keep your head and use some modded SU's to good advantage.

Hope it helps,Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 am

Steve Waterworth who used to post on this site did a fair amount of development work that he documented on his Stromberg Elan.

see his old website - http://www.steveww.org/lotus/page1.html

or search for his posts on LotusElan.net

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks Gents,

I have checked out that website. Thanks for this.

The only problem that I know about that I don't have a solution for at the moment is that of telling how high up the needle is when the car is running at a certain RPM. This is essential for deciding which needle to use to replace the one that you start with and its inevitable flat spot or two. Anyone know of some cute tool ?

Best,
Jonny
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm afraid I can't be very scientific about this but my 1760 with 'D' cams runs very well on Stromberg's. I had the carbs balanced at Kelsports and I'm afraid I don't know which needles they use.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: