MT 75 Ratios

PostPost by: gav » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi all
I'm currently running an MT75 mated to a twin cam in my Sprint.
First gear is a funny ratio and appears more of a half gear - as soon as you lift the clutch, you immediately look for second. It's as though the gap between first and second is too close.
Are there any sensible solutions to this? I really like the remaining gears and the overdrive is good but I am thinking about upgrades and one close to my heart is sorting first and second gears.
I would be interested in others views and experiences.
Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Gavin, this link shows the ratio's that were available in the Scorpio. I find the 3.61 first OK, but there is a large gap to 2nd for sure. I find I take it in town to about 4000 to 4500 rpm (20 to 23 mph) and drop to 2000 to 2500 rpm in 2nd. 6000 rpm is only 31 mph, and drops to 3500 rpm in 2nd. I made up a rpm to mph table in David's spreadsheet, which is great for checking ratio's Wonder if you have the 3.89 first? Don't know details / difficulty of changing the ratio's though. The site has the transmission servicing manual that might help.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/man ... 75spec.pdf

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi Stu

Thats really helpful - thanks for the link.

I don't think the MT is that popular and can't find anyone with alternative gear sets.

I was offered an alternative of a 5 or 6 speed sequential box by elite but it isn't cheap. I may swap back to my trusty ZF box instead.

More pondering required.

All the best
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: