Boot catch

PostPost by: mds4544 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi

Some of the boot catch parts are missing from my rebuild (Zetec) project based on a S130 from 1974.

I have found the 'bell crank' part and have a new cable but no other parts for the slide release or the pin and spring are present. I think the mechanism might be out of a BMC 1100 but no luck finding parts that way either.

I have ordered parts for a non Clubman mini with a cable operated catch and will try to modify it to work in the plus 2.

I'll post once the bit arrive and I can have a look at how it might be made to work.

MDS

PS> If any has or knows of parts for the boot catch I would love to buy them!!
mds4544
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:44 pm

i think theres a nos one on ebay now?
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mds4544 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I looked on ebay but only found a bonnet catch.

I have bought a kit for a bonnet catch for a non-clubman mini. The spring, thimble and prod seem t5o fit OK with a mounting plate made from a bit of scrap steel. The catch is a cable type with a pivot release not a slide.

I have cut off the cable hook and the sleeve holder and ground a bit of metal away from the pivot point and it now fits under the boot metal support and the holes line up. Next, I plan to weld a nut onto the pivot arm so I can bolt the actuator rod and return spring to said arm with both free to rotate.

I hope I can then set up the cable release and bell crank as standard. Hopefully it will go well but I will report on progress.

Best and thanks

MDS4544
mds4544
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:06 am

The S1 Elise uses a similar sort of cable operated sliding catch and sprung blob arrangement for the bonnet and the boot.
https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TB ... 0&ST=&SC=0

Might be worth a look to see if it would work.
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mds4544 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Yes, that looks like it would work well and would probably have been a lot easier than what I have done with a bit of help.

Yesterday, I unwrapped the new cable I bought from PM to find it wasn't the short one I was expecting but the longer one designed to reach the catch itself. As a result the Mini option is easier as it is designed for a cable. I have cut off the retainer for the outer and welded it onto the opposite face and asked the bodyshop to braze a bolt onto the catch itself to take the inner clamp and it is working.

The shop are keen to shut the boot to set the hinges and then adjust the shut lines so I have left them to sort out the return spring (mine was too strong).

I have seen some really strange shut lines on Lotus's since I bought my project. Kevin at the shop is really keen to get mind to a good standard which has already necessitated a drivers door swap. The original was a full cm out at the rear bottom edge while the passenger one is very good. Fortunately, a spare set of doors came with the project (as I needed the glass from them) so the swap is done and now we are only looking for a mm or two!!

Thanks again for the suggestion.

MDS4544
mds4544
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: