LED Headlights

PostPost by: coffeeshopracer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:17 am

Has anyone looked at GE Nighthawk 7" LED headlights in an elan / +2?

I've swapped most of the interior and external running lights but I was intrigued with the low power draw and brightness of these sealed beam LEDs? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them or any other H4 LED bulbs?
coffeeshopracer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:28 pm

I've recently changed out all the exterior bulbs on my S3 for LEDs except for the ones you're interested in - the headlights - I'm afraid. But if you haven't already get on the phone to Gil the proprietor and designer at http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/
and have a chat. Very knowledgeable on LED lights, he even designs and sells "warm" ones which look great on our era cars.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Best
Steve
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: coffeeshopracer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Looks like a good site. I'm in the states and if I strike out on my latest attempt for 39mm warm white festoon, i'll look that direction. I've found quite a variance in the warm white spec between manufacturers. I've used both ledlight.com and superbrightled.com but the warm white 3000k from ledlight.com is the best I've found yet for dash bulbs and the sort. Looks original just way way brighter.

Still curious about the LED headlights though. Its the biggest potential gain though at a pretty high cost.
coffeeshopracer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:52 pm

coffeeshopracer wrote:Has anyone looked at GE Nighthawk 7" LED headlights in an elan / +2?

I've swapped most of the interior and external running lights but I was intrigued with the low power draw and brightness of these sealed beam LEDs? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them or any other H4 LED bulbs?

Wow, I was shocked when I saw the price! They also wouldn't look right on a lot of older cars, but in a retractable setting where they'll probably be on if they're up anyway, that's much less important.

Another idea that might save some dosh: use an existing sealed-beam-to-halogen conversion with some of the halogen-base-compatible LED lamps that are now available. You'll have to shop carefully, but it could be a winner until drop-in sealed LED units come down more in cost (and they surely will).
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: