Isuzu 5 speed

PostPost by: PBK » Fri May 20, 2016 11:51 pm

At this risk of raising a redundant issue, I am currently removing the gemini 5 speed from my S4 for maintenance and am planning to duplicate the changes necessary to mount the box. Essentially, this seems to be relocating the starter mount on the bell housing, an adaptor plate to the block and a modification to the nose to carry the thrust bearing.

This kit is one of the "Sydney" ones from long ago and the adapter is oxy cut from steel. I am having one CNC machined from ally for the two boxes I have.

With respect to ratios, I have driven the car for 3 years and find the short comings are few for everyday driving.
Sure 1st is too short for the "boy racers" but is a great around town/in traffic creeper. Due to the weight of the car and the torquey nature of the engine, with a 3.7 diff, the car will see off most others on the road using just 5th.

Ideally, I would like to change the first gear pair but will move to a 3.54 diff ratio and in overhauling the engine will equip it so that more revs can be used when desired to "cover" ratio gaps.

Peter
PBK
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat May 21, 2016 4:29 am

Peter
What are the ratios?

John :wink:

P.S. Must have some torque to set off in 5th...
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PBK » Sat May 21, 2016 4:58 am

John, you take things a little too literally!

The ratios are well documented in the archives on the subject but 1st is 3.76 ish and 5th is 0.855 with three more in between.

Peter
PBK
New-tral

Total Online: